rx 580 cooling problem and crash

Seeks-Nom
Go to solution Solved by Seeks-Nom,

I know this is very late but i managed to fix the problem.

All i did was opening up the fans of the gpu and putting some machine oil in the bearings. It all works perfectly now.

So this is kind of a follow up topic to one i created a while ago: 

Spoiler

Currently i have 2 issues:

1. The normal clock speed for this specific card is 1386 but when set to 1386 whether manually or set to automatic by radeon settings it crashes the driver while gaming or running superposition before the temperatures hit even 75 degrees. Basically after the first scene.

To combat this i set the clock speed to 1340 and now it is running fine. The card is xfx rx580. Specific model of the card from the box is below and i can confirm it is the same with the sticker on the card, i just dont want to remove the glass to get a good photo on it right now.

I also did a test run of setting the cards fans to minimum and let it run at 1340mhz it hit 86 degrees but did not crash.

Im using this bios. As it is the only 1386 bios avaliable.

2. With the card set to even 1340 it starts to throttle when running superposition and starts taking the clock speed down because the card gets to 83-84 degrees. Fan curve is set to hit 100% at 71 degrees. I just yesterday restored the paste, pads and cleaned the heatsink of the card. This was happening before i did that though thats why i even bothered to do that but it did not help whatsoever. I have a 140mm fan on the front of the case blowing right to the card but in my tests, setting the 14mm fan to 100% or to 0% made no difference in the temperatures nor the superposition score. This simply is an outcome of insufficient cooling but still doesnt explain the 1. issue. Im confused af. 😞

If needed i can provide all kinds of hwinfo and gpu-z logs.

Feel free to ask for any information that might be relevant and isnt provided.

Update: Well i just found out setting the voltage to 1200 ( which is maximum, default is 1150) lets the card run at 1386 without crashing, except it is worse than running it at 1340 because it needs to clock down even further to compensate for heat. At 1340 mhz i can run at 1120 volts. When most people can underclock as low as 1050-1060 volts i dont get why it is behaving like this. Possibly a physical problem on the card?

another update: to make the card run at 1340 mhz i need to set power limit to +4%. To make it run at 1386 i had to set it to 20%. Very odd...

Spoiler

1332431747_WhatsAppImage2021-09-14at13_51_30.thumb.jpeg.25fd79c44cba9cdb3ea00c2c8f8a2fc9.jpeg

Edited by Seeks-Nom
added updates

I did a bit more testing and i found out gpu crashes the second power draw hits 150W

I have a really uneducated and dumb theory but hear me out: After a bit of googling i learned pci-e provides 150W and motherboard provides 75 for a total of 225 wats. My pcie cable splits into 2 on the gpu end consisting of 2x (6+2) connections. Rx 580 only has a single 8 pin connector so basically one of the 6+2 connector is hanging out. Could it be that psu tries to power both the ends evenly and causing me to end up with 75W less then it should? O0or its just a bios issue... 

plz cure my irrogance and set me free from the burden of this underperforming gpu

:c

Sorry that was all just wrong

Most of the RX 580 cards I have seen seem to run quite hot from other manufactures, but seems to be normal for AMD back then. There are few 8GB variations of RX 580 from XFX. Does your model have a switch next to the power cable connector? I'm only use mine for mining now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

37 minutes ago, alyen said:

Most of the RX 580 cards I have seen seem to run quite hot from other manufactures, but seems to be normal for AMD back then. There are few 8GB variations of RX 580 from XFX. Does your model have a switch next to the power cable connector? I'm only use mine for mining now.

it does, although playing with it a little too much i actually broke the switch. I think i just accept what i got and settle with an underclocked card  as nothing seems to help

• 1 month later...

I know this is very late but i managed to fix the problem.

All i did was opening up the fans of the gpu and putting some machine oil in the bearings. It all works perfectly now.