Need ideas on Future upgrades + Can it work with my system?

MistahHaskins

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vrxvPV

So this is what I am working with right now as I am typing this! It works and is an awesome system which was the first one I built however I want to see what I can crank out of my PSU via a Grpahics Card upgrade down the road!

I was thinking something along the lines of a GTX 1660 Ti or maybe a RTX 2060!

Also I was looking into fourms and stuff and people said that you should NOT daisy chain your PCIe power connectors into a GPU and I was wondering what that means?

*My PSU has two separate PCIe cables that are 6+2 cables which is 16 Connectors however I was wondering if it having the 6+2 on two separate cables means its daisy chained

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE  |  GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC  | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200mhz  |  Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2  |  Storage:  WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD  |  Case:  Corsair 4000D Airflow  |  Power Supply: Corsair CX650w Bronze Series

Each 8-pin cable from the PSU is technically rated for 150W. Now the PCIe slot itself is also rated to deliver 75W of power. 

1660Ti is a 120W and RTX 2060 is 160W card so neither card will require more than one PCIe cable from the PSU.

Daisy chaining in regards to PCIe power cables means, for instance, if a GPU has two 8-pin power connectors, using both 6+2 (8) connectors on a single PCIe power cable. Depending on the power of the card, that's not ideal due to efficiency loss of over drawing each cable with more power than its rated for. 

At most, both of the cards you're looking at will have a single 8-pin so this is nothing you have to worry about. Some 3090 cards for instance have 3x 8-pin power connectors for the opposite extreme and that's when you have to really think about it.

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Each 8-pin cable from the PSU is technically rated for 150W. Now the PCIe slot itself is also rated to deliver 75W of power. 

1660Ti is a 120W and RTX 2060 is 160W card so neither card will require more than one PCIe cable from the PSU.

Daisy chaining in regards to PCIe power cables means, for instance, if a GPU has two 8-pin power connectors, using both 6+2 (8) connectors on a single PCIe power cable. Depending on the power of the card, that's not ideal due to efficiency loss of over drawing each cable with more power than its rated for. 

At most, both of the cards you're looking at will have a single 8-pin so this is nothing you have to worry about. Some 3090 cards for instance have 3x 8-pin power connectors for the opposite extreme and that's when you have to really think about it.

Ah I see, so you are saying that Daisy Chaining is utilizing one singular power cable to power 16 pins! I'm shocked people do that though, wouldn't the cables overheat?

Anyways I also was hearing around the internet that my particular PSU is bad, the Corsair CX650 and that since its a 80+ Bronze rated PSU that I need to order a gold one to achieve longevity

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE  |  GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC  | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200mhz  |  Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2  |  Storage:  WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD  |  Case:  Corsair 4000D Airflow  |  Power Supply: Corsair CX650w Bronze Series

2 minutes ago, MistahHaskins said:

Anyways I also was hearing around the internet that my particular PSU is bad, the Corsair CX650 and that since its a 80+ Bronze rated PSU that I need to order a gold one to achieve longevity

Its not necessarily bad, its a basic low to mid range PSU.  The PSU tier list here has the 2016 model (you have the 2017 model) in Tier B "Recommended for midrange systems". Your system I think qualifies for midrange, in my opinion. The 80+ rating is not a measure of quality of longevity either but of efficiency. 

https://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/what-is-psu-efficiency-and-why-is-it-important/