Possible NUC build

kennnzu
Go to solution Solved by Dr0idGh0sT,

NUC 11 does support PCIe Gen 4.0, Even if it didn't and you had to put SSD in PCIe Gen 3.0 slot, It will work, But at Gen 3.0 speeds. So, If if consider prices, There is no reason to buy slower SSD for same price. 

Budget (including currency): na

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: na

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): na

I just noticed this NUC from Intel i5 Panther Canyon, what's the best SSD should I put on it? Should I go for a Gen3 SSD or should I go out for a Gen4??

59 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Depends what are you going to do with it.

Gen 4 is not necessary unless you are doing constant file transfers or something like that. 

Well possible as a back up PC. I want to build this for my brother whose going to college. Some light gaming(LoL and Valorant) and some light file compilation.

Here's my list of SSD options

WD SN750 1TB
WD SN850 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB
Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Gigabyte Aorus M.2 1TB

which should I pick?

45 minutes ago, kennnzu said:

Well possible as a back up PC. I want to build this for my brother whose going to college. Some light gaming(LoL and Valorant) and some light file compilation.

Here's my list of SSD options

WD SN750 1TB
WD SN850 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB
Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Gigabyte Aorus M.2 1TB

which should I pick?

From the list id say sn750

Though some cheaper options are kingston a2000 and mushkin pilot e

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

From the list id say sn750

Though some cheaper options are kingston a2000 and mushkin pilot e

SN750 is actually my 2nd pick since it's 180$ US here in the Philippines. My first pick was actually the Aorus since it's Gen4 and it's actually 5$ to 10$ cheaper here, but I'll take this as a consideration. Thank you my good sir

@kennnzu

You can also build SFF system for lower price and better performance. 

(Isn't that NUC going for something around 1000$?)

Yeah, custom build well be little bigger, But also you can make it better looking and depending on what budget you have, You might fit good GPU in it 🤔

3 minutes ago, kennnzu said:

SN750 is actually my 2nd pick since it's 180$ US here in the Philippines. My first pick was actually the Aorus since it's Gen4 and it's actually 5$ to 10$ cheaper here, but I'll take this as a consideration. Thank you my good sir

If Gigabyte drive is cheaper than SN750, Definitely get it. 

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Thanks for the tip about the SSD, will definitely take this a cosideration. Still open for other comments about this.

And, thanks for the build as well, love it. But, (sorry for the but) as far as building SFF here in PH, it's much cheaper to build a NUC. (All prices converted from PHP to USD)

PH's PC market is bonkers with it's price, they don't know what MSRP means haha

Anyways, even though it only cost $1000 US in PcPartpicker, your build will cost here another $200 while on NUC it's only $700 US here. Another thing is that I already have an ATX build that's waiting for a GPU hahahah. This build is just going to be some sort of a back up PC that will be used by my brother from time to time since he's going to college and it's much cheaper than a laptop here in PH. I just don't know what SSD I will put.

Thanks for the commendation my good sir. 😄

If there's that much differences in price, Than NUC is better deal 😄

So, Tell me what SSD options you have for what prices and I'll tell wich one to buy 😅😅

10 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

If there's that much differences in price, Than NUC is better deal 😄

So, Tell me what SSD options you have for what prices and I'll tell wich one to buy 😅😅

That's why I considered building a NUC 😄

Well here's the list, and some of it has a range due to physical shops' different prices. (Converted from PHP to USD)

SN750 - $190 - $210
SN850 - $250
970 EVO Plus - $180 - $200
980 PRO - $230 - $300
Aorus M.2 - $180

3 minutes ago, kennnzu said:

That's why I considered building a NUC 😄

Well here's the list, and some of it has a range due to physical shops' different prices. (Converted from PHP to USD)

SN750 - $190 - $210
SN850 - $250
970 EVO Plus - $180 - $200
980 PRO - $230 - $300
Aorus M.2 - $180

Yeah I get it 😅

Aorus is best deal it seems. 

2 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Yeah I get it 😅

Aorus is best deal it seems. 

If that's the case, I will take Aorus. 😄

To be honest, I kind of hesitated due to the thought that Aorus only works with AMD for its full performance. Total newbie thoughts. 😄 😄

NUC 11 does support PCIe Gen 4.0, Even if it didn't and you had to put SSD in PCIe Gen 3.0 slot, It will work, But at Gen 3.0 speeds. So, If if consider prices, There is no reason to buy slower SSD for same price. 

3 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Thank you very much my good sir. This really clears everything up. 😄

3 hours ago, kennnzu said:

Gen4 ssdss

are pretty useless for most ppl anyways unless you regularly transfer massive files like 4/8k vid

Maybe look at the kingston a2000 and silicon power a80

On 9/11/2021 at 11:37 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Gen4 ssdss

are pretty useless for most ppl anyways unless you regularly transfer massive files like 4/8k vid

Maybe look at the kingston a2000 and silicon power a80

Still have this on cosideration since I'm still building up the budget for this build hehe. Thanks sir.