Windows 11 Installer

yumanoid

I decided to test-flight the Windows 11 Beta.

I got my filthy hands on the ISO. So far so good.

Now, I'm used to just dumping the ISO content onto a GPT/FAT32 partition and UEFI boot off of it. But this ISO is not making it easy. The install.wim file is over 4GB in size and as such cannot be copied to a FAT32 volume.

I google-fu'd a solution, which was to use DISM to split the wim into multiple files. Fair enough, I have do my share of DISMing back in the day (turns out these DISM operations have a pretty neat PowerShell analogs these days, and one feels more like a pro using those, right?: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dism/split-windowsimage?view=windowsserver2019-ps).

This installer (with the split wim files sneaked into the relevant folder (sources) instead of the install.wim) boots fine, but the installation falls on its face prematurely with an error some 2% into the 'copying files' part. Now, this might be due to the split wim image, I don't really know, maybe there were more steps to follow after the splitting that I overlooked 😜.

Now, I'm a resourceful boi so this didn't stop me, though the following step might feel like a bit of an overcomplicated reach-around:

I have

- created a virtual machine in Hyper-V (has to be Gen 2 if we want it to UEFI boot, which we do)

- loaded the original Win11 ISO into the VM's emulated optical drive

- attached one of my physical drives to the VM (my other, non-system M.2 NVMe disk) - this is done by first making it offline in Disk Management, then adding it to the VM

- booted the VM from the ISO

- started the Windows 11 Beta installation to the attached disk - wait for the first (or the second is fine, too) reboot phase and shut down the VM

- booted up my PC from the SSD that was in the middle of the install process - It picked up from there

Anyway. This is how I managed to handle my 'installer media' problem. This may be helpful to someone with a similar problem, or you can share if you have a different solution (as long as it's not burning the ISO to an actual DVD - it's 2021 ffs!). Hmm, maybe I could have just 'imaged' the ISO onto an external USB flash drive? But in my experience those tools don't always work as they should.

12 minutes ago, yumanoid said:

I decided to test-flight the Windows 11 Beta.

This was your first mistake😄

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

This was your first mistake😄

Nah, i'm a tinkerer. I rarely mess with betas, but I always upgrade to the newest Bill 'prematurely'. Only played with this Bill 11 briefly so far, but I like the new look & feel.

59 minutes ago, yumanoid said:

Hmm, maybe I could have just 'imaged' the ISO onto an external USB flash drive? 

Yep that's the standard method, e.g. using Rufus. 

Alternatively you can use Ventoy that is able to boot multiple ISOs dumped on a flash drive and supports >4GB files through using ExFAT for the partition containing the ISOs.

As said we're in 2021 and there are tools for that, no need for convoluted methods.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

57 minutes ago, yumanoid said:

Bill

Build.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

2 hours ago, yumanoid said:

Nah, i'm a tinkerer. I rarely mess with betas, but I always upgrade to the newest Bill 'prematurely'. Only played with this Bill 11 briefly so far, but I like the new look & feel.

Not sure why you are dumping it to fat32. If you are installing in hyper v just mount the iso. If you are trying to install it on physical hardware either look at setting up a ventoy drive to drop the iso in or use Rufus to create a bootable usb.

6 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Build.

nope. bill as for bill gates.

5 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Not sure why you are dumping it to fat32. If you are installing in hyper v just mount the iso. If you are trying to install it on physical hardware either look at setting up a ventoy drive to drop the iso in or use Rufus to create a bootable usb.

the endgame idea was to put it on the metal, not on a VM. ever since UEFI boots came about, i'm used to just copying the ISO contents to a FAT32 volume and installing from that. seriously the last time i used some 'clone ISO to a disk' method was back when it was all MBR booting. sometimes i used Hasleo's WinToUSB, but that was mainly to put a bootable Bill (not an installer) on USB media.

i guess another reason why i never stuck to any 'clone ISO to disk' methods was that my external drives constantly change purpose. if i actually cared for one to be set up with some multi-ISO boot and stay that way for(almost)ever, then these methods would make sense. having said that, i'm going to look into this ventoy thing, never head of that.

6 minutes ago, yumanoid said:

the endgame idea was to put it on the metal, not on a VM. ever since UEFI boots came about, i'm used to just copying the ISO contents to a FAT32 volume and installing from that. seriously the last time i used some 'clone ISO to a disk' method was back when it was all MBR booting. sometimes i used Hasleo's WinToUSB, but that was mainly to put a bootable Bill (not an installer) on USB media.

i guess another reason why i never stuck to any 'clone ISO to disk' methods was that my external drives constantly change purpose. if i actually cared for one to be set up with some multi-ISO boot and stay that way for(almost)ever, then these methods would make sense. having said that, i'm going to look into this ventoy thing, never head of that.

Ventoy is great and pretty easy to setup. Been using it for a while and just being able to drop in isos makes things easier and faster. 

Can have my live isos, recovery ones, and installers all in the same stick. 64gb one anyway. 

1 minute ago, m9x3mos said:

Ventoy is great and pretty easy to setup. Been using it for a while and just being able to drop in isos makes things easier and faster. 

Can have my live isos, recovery ones, and installers all in the same stick. 64gb one anyway. 

i've had this 64GB Patriot Supersonic Magnum for ages, it's always been my go-to for this purpose, as it was reasonably fast for that era. but... i may or may not have fucked with its firmware many years ago, and - i don't know if it's since then or since forever - this thing is not easy to multi-partition. with my usb-enclosure M.2 ssds i can mess around and partition them anyway i want, as with any on-board drive, but not this patriot stick. if i create an 8gb partition, it won't let me allocate the rest of the space for whatever other partition. yet WinToUsb can do its dirty tricks to create all the 3 (or so) partitions that a typical windows system disk has 🤷‍♂️.