Questions about fan layout, radiator layout and cooling!

MagePepsi

Hello there beatiful people of this forum, I would like to ask you some questions about fans, radiators and cooling! I finally finished building my dream setup(budget dream but ok ahah) but I still do not know what is the best way to put my fans on the case and how to correctly mount and position my radiator! Can you help me decide which way should the air Flow be? I also want to put my cpu radiator on the front of the pc ?(should i put it where the orange lines are located or where the greens are..) Pls help( pictures below for reference) and also.. Where should i put the fans of the radiator? In front of it? thanks! 

IMG_20210908_163301.jpg

IMG_20210908_163322.jpg

10 minutes ago, MagePepsi said:

Hello there beatiful people of this forum, I would like to ask you some questions about fans, radiators and cooling! I finally finished building my dream setup(budget dream but ok ahah) but I still do not know what is the best way to put my fans on the case and how to correctly mount and position my radiator! Can you help me decide which way should the air Flow be? I also want to put my cpu radiator on the front of the pc ?(should i put it where the orange lines are located or where the greens are..) Pls help( pictures below for reference) and also.. Where should i put the fans of the radiator? In front of it? thanks! 

IMG_20210908_163301.jpg

IMG_20210908_163322.jpg

Orange is better than green, as the radiator is higher up and so will likely not return air into the pump. Furthermore, the PSU basement is rather poorly vented so heat may accumulate over time.

5 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Orange is better than green, as the radiator is higher up and so will likely not return air into the pump. Furthermore, the PSU basement is rather poorly vented so heat may accumulate over time.

Thanks for the reply!! Can I ask you another question? Should a fan be right up where orange is located? ( there is one in the picture below) and which way should the radiator be? Exhaust? 

3 minutes ago, MagePepsi said:

Thanks for the reply!! Can I ask you another question? Should a fan be right up where orange is located? ( there is one in the picture below) and which way should the radiator be? Exhaust? 

Conventional wisdom would tell you that it should be an intake to get access to fresh air, at the cost of a slightly warmer case ambient and therefore slightly higher GPU temperature. In certain scenarios such as with blower GPUs, setting it as exhaust may be better. As a side note, if the tubing length allows for it, the tubes should be down.

With respect to the fan "right up where orange is located" I'm going to assume you are refering to the top mounted fan. The exact location I think is not so important as long as it doesn't collide with the radiator.

Orange is the better place for the radiator, also double check your ram. It appears from the picture to be in slots 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4. Typically the dual channel slots on most motherboards are 2 and 4. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Orange is the better place for the radiator, also double check your ram. It appears from the picture to be in slots 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4. Typically the dual channel slots on most motherboards are 2 and 4. 

Thanks spookycitrus! I'll double check that instantly! 

36 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Conventional wisdom would tell you that it should be an intake to get access to fresh air, at the cost of a slightly warmer case ambient and therefore slightly higher GPU temperature. In certain scenarios such as with blower GPUs, setting it as exhaust may be better. As a side note, if the tubing length allows for it, the tubes should be down.

With respect to the fan "right up where orange is located" I'm going to assume you are refering to the top mounted fan. The exact location I think is not so important as long as it doesn't collide with the radiator.

Thanks you for Science! Is there a radiator  configuration that allows the gpu to be less Hot than the cpu? 

Just now, MagePepsi said:

Thanks spookycitrus! I'll double check that instantly! 

Thanks you for Science! Is there a radiator  configuration that allows the gpu to be less Hot than the cpu? 

GPUs are generally more power hungry than CPUs, but have better coolers on them. To give the GPU the best world, then you would mount the radiator on the top in an exhaust configuration. This way the unobstructed intake fans in the front supply the case and GPU with ambient air, and then the radiator has to make do with a mixture of ambient + GPU exhaust (assuming open shroud GPU cooler). This has the added advantage that the radiator is placed way above the pump, and so minimizes air accumulation in the pump.

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

GPUs are generally more power hungry than CPUs, but have better coolers on them. To give the GPU the best world, then you would mount the radiator on the top in an exhaust configuration. This way the unobstructed intake fans in the front supply the case and GPU with ambient air, and then the radiator has to make do with a mixture of ambient + GPU exhaust (assuming open shroud GPU cooler). This has the added advantage that the radiator is placed way above the pump, and so minimizes air accumulation in the pump.

Ok really really cool, i think I'll go with this configuration instead, it seems better to me! Thanks for all the help guys!! 

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

One more question guys.. Sorry to bother... Should the cable of the radiator be like the first picture? (orange) or like the second? (green), also the radiator should be like this( with the cable down like the violet dot or up like yellow?) thanks a lot really ❤️

IMG_20210908_190735.jpg

IMG_20210908_190704.jpg

IMG_20210908_190645.jpg

17 minutes ago, MagePepsi said:

One more question guys.. Sorry to bother... Should the cable of the radiator be like the first picture? (orange) or like the second? (green), also the radiator should be like this( with the cable down like the violet dot or up like yellow?) thanks a lot really ❤️

IMG_20210908_190735.jpg

IMG_20210908_190704.jpg

IMG_20210908_190645.jpg

1. purple is better

2. green and orange, does not matter