GPU for video editing laptop, getting very confused

funkytwig

So currently I have a 1060 6GB GPU in my laptop and am going to upgrade to a Asus ROG G14.  From what I can gather the RTX 2060 is my best bet followed by the 1660 TI with the RTX 3050 TI in last place?  Is this correct?

The key thing seems to be that memory is very important and having 6GB is a lot better than 4GB even if other things are better?

Regards,
Ben

The 3050 TI is more powerful than 2060 IIRC - but if memory capacity is what you care about, then yes, the 2060 has more. May I recommend a 3060/3060TI though? I think those come with 6gb, aren't too much more expensive and are a bit more powerful than 3050 ti or 2060. 

What videos are you editing? What programs?

If your editing h.264/h.265 make sure you can do hardware decoding. Some codecs can only be decoded on hardware by 11th gen intel, so might want to consider the intel version.

More vram is nice, but depends on resolution and program.

Thanks for that, but dont think the G14 comes with a 3060. Is the Ti better or worse, I thought it was better but an begining to wonder.  Just to clarify its video editing I care about and it seems memory is VERY important for this.

26 minutes ago, funkytwig said:

Thanks for that, but dont think the G14 comes with a 3060. Is the Ti better or worse, I thought it was better but an begining to wonder.  Just to clarify its video editing I care about and it seems memory is VERY important for this.

What videos are you editing? What codecs? What resolutions? What programs are you using?

The ti version is faster than the normal version(all else being equal)

Thanks, ime a freelancer so do a mixture but 4k h.264/265 tends to be the most demanding.  I have a Panasonic GH4 but edit stuff shot by other people.  Tends to b corporate and documentery.  Nothing cray sofisticated, generaly only a cople of streems.

The reason for my confusuin was in some benchmarks the 1660 scores better than the 3050 and some the other way round.  Ive failed to find good video editing fousused benchmarks concentrating on GPU but have seen people saying the 1660 it is both good and not good for video editing. 

So far my feeling is a R7 2060 is the thng to go for.  The R9 seem only 10-15% better for editing and out of the G14 offerings the 2060 seems significantly better.