My First Ever Server

Gears OG

So I have been gathering used parts. some from our household a few I bought used online

Here is the basics as I sit right now

Fractal Design Define R6

MSI Gaming X570 Gaming Plus

Ryzen 3 2200G

2 x 8Gb ddr4 ram 3200mhz

750Watt Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold

1 500GB W/D Nvme SSD for caching

1 Seagate Barracuda Commute 7200rpm 2 Tb

This is the bare bones of what i have accumulated, I have set it up and confirmed it does post

I need some more hard drives, will be running Unraid as a my OS. what are your thoughts

on this concept of a NAS for my home??

The plan is to get a sas controller, non raid card to run the sata ports for this config

11 minutes ago, Gears OG said:

So I have been gathering used parts. some from our household a few I bought used online

Here is the basics as I sit right now

Fractal Design Define R6

MSI Gaming X570 Gaming Plus

Ryzen 3 2200G

2 x 8Gb ddr4 ram 3200mhz

750Watt Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold

1 500GB W/D Nvme SSD for caching

1 Seagate Barracuda Commute 7200rpm 2 Tb

This is the bare bones of what i have accumulated, I have set it up and confirmed it does post

I need some more hard drives, will be running Unraid as a my OS. what are your thoughts

on this concept of a NAS for my home??

The plan is to get a sas controller, non raid card to run the sata ports for this config

What all goals do you have for this system?

Do you want it solely as a NAS or do you want to use it to host other virtual machines, etc.

Data Systems Administrator | Sergeant - US Marine Corps | CCNA / SEC+

Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti | Full Build Info | HomeLab Setup

Mass storage, maybe a plex server.... if i need more graphics power, I am looking to upgrade my RX590, in my gaming rig, Which case this will go into my server, for transcoding and stop using the APU.

Server is up and running no parity drive yet. Had a few hick ups. But she is running smooth. Runs my steam library. Plex server. And basis data storage for now

20210905_235256.jpg

20210905_235219.jpg

unfortunately plex dose not transcode very well on amd hardware. and if it works at all to quote plex "as is" and has no plans to support them any time soon

the igpu on intel cpus are are better supported or the ever so popular quadro p2000 from nivdia.

or cpu encode with a larger cpu like a 3950x or 5950x

10 hours ago, mineblaster said:

unfortunately plex dose not transcode very well on amd hardware. and if it works at all to quote plex "as is" and has no plans to support them any time soon

the igpu on intel cpus are are better supported or the ever so popular quadro p2000 from nivdia.

or cpu encode with a larger cpu like a 3950x or 5950x

I transcode using a Quadro P600. Much cheaper and sufficient for a typical home scenario. A 5600G should be perfect for CPU transcoding without a dGPU, a 16-core is massive overkill unless you need to provide streams for a lot of people, which is unlikely.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

my main gaming rig has a Ryzen 9 3900x, which could be a upgrade to the server down the road, at this point aside from the sata/sas controller i need, and storage, this rig will just be getting hand me downs from my main rig. than seliing anything sub par to that, back to the community to keep good parts in circ at good prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have 12.5 tb of storage. A 4tb parity drive. A raid controller and a expander card. Can fill up all the drives in this case which i believe is 14. Plus add a hard drive bank to it with even more drives. Does this make me a data hoader?? I do need some cables to hook the controller up to the expansion card. 🙂

IMG_20211001_185928_01.jpg

1 hour ago, Gears OG said:

I now have 12.5 tb of storage. A 4tb parity drive. A raid controller and a expander card. Can fill up all the drives in this case which i believe is 14. Plus add a hard drive bank to it with even more drives. Does this make me a data hoader?? I do need some cables to hook the controller up to the expansion card. 🙂

12.5tb? Man, you are not even close to data hoarder status. 😉 Most of the reddit guys are pushing 100tb.