Really high cpu handles.

Leejit

Hello Nerds :) 

I have a concerning issue related to my number of cpu handles consistently growing in quantity as my pc is running. 
From a fresh boot it's immediately around 200k cpu handles, and as time goes on it just grows more and more.

I've run a malwarebytes scan, shows no threat. 

Also, I seem to have some unusual cpu usage favoring certain cores/threads during the malwarebytes scan though it's opposite while gaming, the four cores/threads on the third row are favored while I'm gaming. 

Any suggestions or clarification would be great.

Thanks in advance !

TaskMan-HighHandles.png

Well, have you ordered your processes by utilisation to see what's high?

(Best done under details > CPU)

Or use Resource Monitor and sort by number of threads.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

Close everything so the system is at Idle or as close as it possibly can be. 

Are you having an actual issue or are you just seeing a number go up that you're not sure what it is?

Are you knowingly running something via java?

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

I never thought of it before, I just closed a few apps that were in my tray, like my mouse software, keyboard software, and turned off wallpaper engine, and it went down to 110k handles. so, with that suggestion I just gotta figure out which one was causing all the issues. I also closed discord.

Just now, Leejit said:

I never thought of it before, I just closed a few apps that were in my tray, like my mouse software, keyboard software, and turned off wallpaper engine, and it went down to 110k handles. so, with that suggestion I just gotta figure out which one was causing all the issues. I also closed discord.

That's exactly my question, what issues? You didn't actually mention any. The high number of "handles" is easily explained by things running on your computer. You may want to look through your startup items in the Startup tab in Task Manager and disable everything you don't need to run immediately at boot.

6 minutes ago, Leejit said:

the javaw.exe is minecraft. LOL. 🙂

I suspected, it's about the only reason I ever run java too lol.

I personally disable as much startup stuff as possible and just run as needed, even steam/epic/spotify etc, they take a second to launch and I don't exactly want/need multiple stores running at the same time seeing as I'll only be playing a game from a single one of them.

If it isn't critical for a device to work fully, it's disabled.

My stats at boot for context -

image.thumb.png.e6d5a918cb00c201245284335afe2ffc.png

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

That's exactly my question, what issues? You didn't actually mention any. The high number of "handles" is easily explained by things running on your computer. You may want to look through your startup items in the Startup tab in Task Manager and disable everything you don't need to run immediately at boot.

the issue is that they consistently grow. as I stated.
I closed some things and watched the number go back down drastically, but now need to do it one at a time to see which one is causing the cpu handles to keep rising.

As for my startup
 image.png.809cabbeebf5b748923f47dc0bedf02a.png

1 minute ago, Leejit said:

the issue is that they consistently grow. as I stated.
I closed some things and watched the number go back down drastically, but now need to do it one at a time to see which one is causing the cpu handles to keep rising.

As for my startup
 image.png.809cabbeebf5b748923f47dc0bedf02a.png

Could be a memory leak in software running.

What happens if you just do a restart and leave it for 15 mins?

3 minutes ago, cacoe said:

I suspected, it's about the only reason I ever run java too lol.

I personally disable as much startup stuff as possible and just run as needed, even steam/epic/spotify etc, they take a second to launch and I don't exactly want/need multiple stores running at the same time seeing as I'll only be playing a game from a single one of them.

If it isn't critical for a device to work fully, it's disabled.

I try to do the same, I think the razer keyboard software for rgb, the logitech mouse software for profiles and rgb, and the icue software for rgb are the only ones running from startup... and well, wallpaper engine. 
discord is nearly always running. 

I'll have to keep an eye on the handles and close one process at a time when I see it go up into the millions and findout which one is causing the high number.

Just now, cacoe said:

Could be a memory leak in software running.

What happens if you just do a restart and leave it for 15 mins?

I've tried this before, that's how I used to "reset" the handles count, but after 15 minutes I see it's up into the 300k range, and still growing.
even now it's gone up 25k in about 5minutes.
once it hits 1m, I'll close each program that I just did and see which is causing the high number, then figure out what to do with it. 

Thank you and @rickeo for responding and helping me with this. 
I guess I just needed someone to point out something I didn't think of myself immediately.
I was only concerned for my pc's health, because I know 4million cpu handles isn't normal.

2 minutes ago, Leejit said:

Try killing wallpaper engine first and see how that goes, I've tried it and I didn't like the amount of CPU utilisation/gpu utilisation it took. Sure it's still relatively low but still, more than I'd like to see when in real world use, I hardly see the wallpaper most of the time.

Just now, cacoe said:

Try killing wallpaper engine first and see how that goes, I've tried it and I didn't like the amount of CPU utilisation/gpu utilisation it took. Sure it's still relatively low but still, more than I'd like to see when in real world use, I hardly see the wallpaper most of the time.

Agreed, I only like the ability to customize the wallpapers across different monitors, with the ability to have subtle animations. 
But if it's causing issues, then it'll have to go.

I'm curious what is all running on this PC under normal use. 

If you type tasklist > c:\process_list.txt into an administrative command prompt it'll put a small txt file at the root of your C: drive with every running process on the system. You could share that here.

I'm curious what is all running on this PC under normal use. 

If you type tasklist > c:\process_list.txt into an administrative command prompt it'll put a small txt file at the root of your C: drive with every running process on the system. You could share that here.

process_list.txt

13 minutes ago, Leejit said:

These are the little programs that I would close:

• #1 Worst offender but you can't really close it, Armoury Crate. Awful program that causes all sorts of problems.
  • Corsair iCUE
  • Razer Synapse
  • WallpaperEngine
  • Discord

Then see where you stand. If you have all these programs starting at boot too, i would highly consider disabling all but the essentials. Again with Armoury Crate, you don't really get that option. I can't even begin to tell you how many processes that installs and they all run regardless of what you want. There are so many in that list and they're not all recognizable by Asus in the name. That program really infects your system hard.

These are the little programs that I would close:

• #1 Worst offender but you can't really close it, Armoury Crate. Awful program that causes all sorts of problems.
  • Corsair iCUE
  • Razer Synapse
  • WallpaperEngine
  • Discord

Then see where you stand. If you have all these programs starting at boot too, i would highly consider disabling all but the essentials. Again with Armoury Crate, you don't really get that option. I can't even begin to tell you how many processes that installs and they all run regardless of what you want. There are so many in that list and they're not all recognizable by Asus in the name. That program really infects your system hard.

I know, downloading Armoury Crate was the stupidest thing ever... it's a trash app, makes me disappointed in Asus for that. 

Corsair icue is for rgb, Razer is for rgb on my keyboard, Wallpaper Engine I could close, Discord is how I talk to my friends.

6 minutes ago, Leejit said:

I know, downloading Armoury Crate was the stupidest thing ever... it's a trash app, makes me disappointed in Asus for that. 

Corsair icue is for rgb, Razer is for rgb on my keyboard, Wallpaper Engine I could close, Discord is how I talk to my friends.

I understand what you use them for, my suggestion was to help troubleshoot, not to uninstall them all forever.