D.I.Y Copper Base On Aluminum Heatsink Experiment

Obese_Rice
Go to solution Solved by tikker,

Are we talking betwteen the die and the IHS or IHS and cooler? In any case:

10 minutes ago, TeraBitz said:

But still the aluminum would only pick up heat the same as if it were on the CPU.

I think you've answered your own question. No matter how conductive the stuff between is, ultimately you'll be limited to the conductivity of the worst conductor. Adding a sheet of copper sandwiched between some pastes only adds more layers the heat has to travel through before reaching the cooler and I don't think such a tiny sliver of copper has enough thermal mass to act as a buffer.

That's why people go for liquid metal. It has a higher thermal conductivity than thermal pastes. If your copper solution has better transfer than thermal paste it may work, but if you're just going to stick normal thermal paste in between I don't think it will.

[Edit] Also judging from this thread and the fact it's a sealant it's not meant to come off and will basically glue things together. Might want to try this on an old system you don't need to reuse 😛

I want to try a lot of different experiments on computers and laptops and this one popped into my mind. 

Now there are some people out there who have aluminum heatsinks and everyone should know copper is way thermally conductive than aluminum. Now I thought of getting a thin copper sheet (probably about 0.3mm) and sticking it in between a CPU and aluminum heatsink and adding thermal paste in between them both. But still the aluminum would only pick up heat the same as if it were on the CPU. I did some more research and found some copper based gasket sealant. Then I had the idea of merging the copper sheet to the heatsink with the sealant instead of using thermal paste.

So I'm here asking for peoples opinion on if they think this would work. I put a little diagram below on how it is supposed to go

Untitled drawing (1).png

Are we talking betwteen the die and the IHS or IHS and cooler? In any case:

10 minutes ago, TeraBitz said:

But still the aluminum would only pick up heat the same as if it were on the CPU.

I think you've answered your own question. No matter how conductive the stuff between is, ultimately you'll be limited to the conductivity of the worst conductor. Adding a sheet of copper sandwiched between some pastes only adds more layers the heat has to travel through before reaching the cooler and I don't think such a tiny sliver of copper has enough thermal mass to act as a buffer.

That's why people go for liquid metal. It has a higher thermal conductivity than thermal pastes. If your copper solution has better transfer than thermal paste it may work, but if you're just going to stick normal thermal paste in between I don't think it will.

[Edit] Also judging from this thread and the fact it's a sealant it's not meant to come off and will basically glue things together. Might want to try this on an old system you don't need to reuse 😛

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

You're basically adding another two steps for heat to transfer from the cpu to the heatsink so I think although this will work fine, I don't expect any gains. 

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

Each layer of metal you add will act like a little blanket and cause worse thermal transfer. So, you will get no improvement or worse results than before.