Why am I losing storage so quick without doing anything and without any malware?

RTX 3070 I7 11800h

I just came back from filming some stuff and then I open file explorer to find that I have 111mb left. I remember having over 12gb so I delete one of my games and then I have 10gb left. After 10 seconds I lost 190mb of storage for no reason. Can someone help me with this because it is becoming a problem.

have you one through a recent windows update? Sometimes update files are left by the system
You can check it in Storage Settings (just search for it @ start)

The view should show you a general view on your storage utilization.
To delete temporary files, just click Temporay Files and delete files as required.

You can also use a 3rd-party software WinDirStat to further help you pinpoint storage usage.

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

58 minutes ago, Fried.Bacon said:

have you one through a recent windows update? Sometimes update files are left by the system
You can check it in Storage Settings (just search for it @ start)

The view should show you a general view on your storage utilization.
To delete temporary files, just click Temporay Files and delete files as required.

You can also use a 3rd-party software WinDirStat to further help you pinpoint storage usage.

I just did a windows update. Maybe it is my external SSD's and SD cards because whenever I unplug them my storage frees up a bit.

Also run disk cleanup and choose cleanup system files. It can have recent windows update's files saved for backup.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

Try ccleaner - it will wipe away all the rubbish (and may other files so be carefull with that you tick)

Futureproof your builds and try not to fry anything

4 hours ago, Gamer4714 said:

Also run disk cleanup and choose cleanup system files. It can have recent windows update's files saved for backup.

I run disk cleanup every week

2 hours ago, Covelight said:

Try ccleaner - it will wipe away all the rubbish (and may other files so be carefull with that you tick)

I guess I can try.

The page at this link provides some possible causes (and fixes) for this kind of issue...

Windows 10 Showing Wrong Hard Disk Free Space-Quick Fix It [Partition Magic]

Also...

• You could have a lot of old system restore points taking up space. Certain Windows updates will create a restore point before installing.

• When you delete files, they are marked for deletion but don't actually free up the space until you empty recycle bin. When you empty recycle bin the space is allocated as free space even though the files are actually still there until something else overwrites them (which is why files can possibly be recovered with data recovery tools) or you use a tool such as ccleaner to wipe free space.

• Corruption of the NTFS file system could cause false reporting of free space.

• Failing or faulty HDD/SSD could cause false reporting of free space.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit