"automatic" color text shows white in copy/pasted text even when I'm in Day theme. (didn't expect it to use source's theme to determine color)

Browser, version and OS: FireFox 91.0.2, Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.1256)

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Editing a topic (in Test Posts - mods: it's my one that talks about a stop-gap upgrade from a 4790K).
Had copied/pasted some text from another forum into a spoiler, then was going to insert some of my comments in there.

What happened?

When I went to set the text color to "automatic" in one of the text boxes I was editing (in a sub-spoiler, below "r/buildapcforme - from https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme/comments/p629bi/meta_a_guide_on_how_to_post_a_build_request_so/ " in the main spoiler at the bottom of my draft post), it set it to nearly white, instead of black even though I'm using the day theme here.

What did you expect to happen?

I expected it to use the LTT forum theme to determine whether "automatic" means white or black, not the place from which I copied/pasted the text.  (Reddit for me, at least on that sub, is set to dark theme.)

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

This link may only be viewable by mods -

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

2036089933_Screenshot(2451).thumb.png.d2d82a1b2fbf75b707a959cd6e7d0ceb.png

Any other relevant details:

BTW, it does properly set the "automatic" color as black (because I use day theme on LTT forum) in the other spoilers as well as the main body.  (I just didn't expect it to use the source-from-copy/paste's theme to determine what that color would be.)
I can't think of any others at the moment, but feel free to try to ask or prod my brain in case something might come up.

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page?
(N/A)

When you copy and paste text from another website it will carry over some of the formatting, including text colour. When you paste something in to the editor on the forum it will pop up saying it has been pasted as rich text (containing the formatting and colour from the source) with a button to paste as plain text instead.

image.png

Pasting as plain text will remove all of the text formatting so might not be desirable as you'll lose the formatting on the bold headers for the paragraphs.

If you highlight the text and click the cont colour box and set it to Automatic it will work (I tested this in the editor link you posted and this works to restore the forums automatic colours)

6 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

BTW, it does properly set the "automatic" color as black (because I use day theme on LTT forum) in the other spoilers as well as the main body.  (I just didn't expect it to use the source-from-copy/paste's theme to determine what that color would be.)

From what I can see in the edit history log for that post it appears as if it's just one colour and isn't switching based on the theme used on the forum, but the text colour of the post has been changed throughout various edits (I'm guessing you were trying to fix it?).

I've tried copying the reddit post with its formatting and it's working as expected. For Reddit Light Mode it is using a dark grey text which shows as dark grey on the forum in both light and dark forum themes. For Reddit Dark Mode it's using a light grey which shows light grey on both light and dark forum themes.

Just highlight all of the text in the post and click Automatic in the font colour and it should fix it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Ah @Spotty ... I did want it to retain some of the formatting (like bold, font sizes, etc) but for "automatic" color I wanted it to use this forum's theme as a guide/template.  Guess not that's how it works here 😄

That's interesting though ... when I was editing before I posted (in new builds & planning btw) in one of the text boxes (in a copy-paste into a spoiler), highlighted text, clicked "automatic" ... it set it as almost white on here even though I'm using day theme.  Were you using night theme?

And yeah, I was trying to fix it myself.  (Reminds me, some time ago I had taken screenshots of text & background on here with both day & night theme, looked at their color codes, then figured out one that was right in the middle between them, some shade of gray or something like that, and tried to use it.  Maybe I should look it up again, find out what it was, and suggest it as a selectable text color in the color box?)

And do you just mean the text in that quote, or the text in the entire post?  (There was some other text elsewhere that was pasted that had red or blue or something, I forget now, I wanted to retain that as well.)