Trading and Recording screens PC

Hi

I need help building a desktop PC.

I'm a starting day trader but a full time software developer for now, and I put very heavy loads on my machine with multiple trading platforms open at once with live data updating charts and quotes, etc., a screen capture recording 2 screens during market hours, plus a couple of opera/chrome tabs opened, I will probably have league of legends as the only game on this PC. 

I open up a virtual machine using Virtual box for now with archlinux on it, I'm considering buying VMware license to properly utilize the machine's hardware instead of simply emulating it.

If this helps the programs I use the most are trade-ideas, think or swim, dastrader, OBS, tradingview (web based desktop app)

I already have 3 uhd monitors, might add 2 more later during the year, maybe buy a couple of 4k monitors.

I also would like this desktop to be displayed, instead of just hidden below the desk, so I was thinking adding some corsair custom water cooling, I know it's overkill but I would like to think of that as an option.

Thanks.

Budget (including currency):  CAD 3000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Das Trader, OBS, League of legends

59 minutes ago, maumercado said:

Hi

I need help building a desktop PC.

I'm a starting day trader but a full time software developer for now, and I put very heavy loads on my machine with multiple trading platforms open at once with live data updating charts and quotes, etc., a screen capture recording 2 screens during market hours, plus a couple of opera/chrome tabs opened, I will probably have league of legends as the only game on this PC. 

I open up a virtual machine using Virtual box for now with archlinux on it, I'm considering buying VMware license to properly utilize the machine's hardware instead of simply emulating it.

If this helps the programs I use the most are trade-ideas, think or swim, dastrader, OBS, tradingview (web based desktop app)

I already have 3 uhd monitors, might add 2 more later during the year, maybe buy a couple of 4k monitors.

I also would like this desktop to be displayed, instead of just hidden below the desk, so I was thinking adding some corsair custom water cooling, I know it's overkill but I would like to think of that as an option.

Thanks.

Budget (including currency):  CAD 3000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Das Trader, OBS, League of legends

I’m afraid the only thing in that I’ve heard anything about is League of Legends, and it’s requirements are known to be pretty low.  I suspect the requirements for your other stuff will more than cover anything that might need with the possible exception of a high refresh rate monitor which I’m not sure is even needed.  My understanding is anything over 100hz becomes progressively less important though it varies a lot depending on personal visual acuity.  Mine is low so anything over 120hz is kind of lost on me.  Ymmv.  LoL shouldn’t require more than a basic discrete video card, one or  2 threads, and eat a few Gb of memory at most. I’ve heard of people playing it fine on 8gb 1030 machines.  I suspect you will need a lot more for the other stuff so worry about that stuff first I think.  I don’t know how many threads you will need for what but I suspect more than 8.  Software development can mean a lot of things.  It could just mean programming, which is more or less just editing a text file so even less than  league of legends, or it could mean compiling which likes lots and lots of cores, or it could mean running whatever you are developing for in a VM. So a bunch of variables. I don’t see a whole lot of need for a big gpu in your life though. Day trading will be 2d, and most software development will largely ignore video card stuff.  So potentially as many cores as you can get, though I don’t know how many you need, and potentially a good bit of memory. I would be tempted to go for extra cores over some sort of nvenc streaming because they could be useful elsewhere. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This is likely far more than needed. You will need to add a second gpu if you want more than 4 monitors. The system is ready for a 2nd gpu.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($669.99 @ Canada Computers) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($135.16 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($322.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($277.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($469.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card  ($602.80 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($162.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($103.50 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $2744.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-29 16:08 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 minutes ago, brob said:

This is likely far more than needed. You will need to add a second gpu if you want more than 4 monitors. The system is ready for a 2nd gpu.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($135.16 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($277.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($469.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($162.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($103.50 @ Vuugo) 

Cooler may be overkill. It’s Canada so there isn’t high ambient like, say, Egypt. Could spend half that on a larger air cooler and be fine.  The 5900x just isn’t a terribly hot chip. 1660ti seems like an odd choice.  It may be more available though.  My issue was I didn’t know whether to go threadripper for the extra cores or not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Thank you both for your answers... just wanted to give you more context on what I'm currently running with

This is my current setup:

Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz   2.42 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1650

it is a laptop so understandably LoL runs ok, but the CPU goes berserk and the Fans just make it seem like the laptops is trying to fly away.

The main problem that I'm perceiving right now is having OBS recording, dasTrader open to place trades, trading view, and google chrome with 2 tabs open, at that point the CPU is at around 70% utilization, but DAS trader which I believe is written in C, starts lagging, which makes it very problematic to trade, because well speed and precision are required for trading or money is lost which is obviously not the idea XD

For what BRob posts I guess the main load will be on the CPU itself. 

I guess the video card is not going to have much of an impact in the usability that I give the system, right?

I also wanted to update the Budget to simply "I can do higher than 3000 and that doesn't have to include custom loop" obviously the latter to be absolutely honest I am aware is merely cosmetic.

40 minutes ago, maumercado said:

Thank you both for your answers... just wanted to give you more context on what I'm currently running with

Installed RAM    16.0 GB

it is a laptop so understandably LoL runs ok, but the CPU goes berserk and the Fans just make it seem like the laptops is trying to fly away.

The main problem that I'm perceiving right now is having OBS recording, dasTrader open to place trades, trading view, and google chrome with 2 tabs open, at that point the CPU is at around 70% utilization, but DAS trader which I believe is written in C, starts lagging, which makes it very problematic to trade, because well speed and precision are required for trading or money is lost which is obviously not the idea XD

I guess the video card is not going to have much of an impact in the usability that I give the system, right?

I also wanted to update the Budget to simply "I can do higher than 3000 and that doesn't have to include custom loop" obviously the latter to be absolutely honest I am aware is merely cosmetic.

Could be in this case.  Custom loop has uses.  It’s the king of low noise for one. You can put a big hot machine in a small box and make it very low noise with custom loop.  Cooling threadripper on air is hard especially if you get into upper end high core count ones. Threadripper has two things that are handy: large numbers of cores and large numbers of pcie lanes. Virtual machines can sometimes make use of those lanes.  I don’t know much about VM stuff though. Temptation to reuse your current video card. It’s there, it’s free, and if it’s got enough video out for you it’s all that would be needed. 

here’s a threadripper build all the cores and all the lanes you could use.  Most of the money is in the cpu itself and the motherboard which may be more than you need.  Assumes reuse of the 1650 you got and I went lowball 3 fan for the cooler so I have no data on longevity.  Thing might suck.  Monitors als weren’t included.  I don’t know what you want for that.  Might be funny to show it to people with it just running league of legends to hear them scream “what is wrong with the world?!” in the hallway.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3960X 3.8 GHz 24-Core Processor  ($1699.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 360 74.82 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($147.06 @ iSanek) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA EATX sTRX4 Motherboard  ($1159.89 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($284.90 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($63.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($152.50 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($118.49 @ iSanek) 
Total: $3801.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-29 16:59 EDT-0400

2 hours ago, maumercado said:

Installed RAM    16.0 GB

Mispost

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Cooler may be overkill. It’s Canada so there isn’t high ambient like, say, Egypt. Could spend half that on a larger air cooler and be fine.  The 5900x just isn’t a terribly hot chip. 1660ti seems like an odd choice.  It may be more available though.  My issue was I didn’t know whether to go threadripper for the extra cores or not.

As I said in the post you quoted, the build is a bit overkill. AIO was selected to satisfy OP desire for a good looking build. If a custom loop is truly desired, there is no point in getting a cpu cooler.

GPU was selected as it more than satisfies display requirements and adding a second will not tax the system.

Threadripper would be an utter waste of money given the use case.

35 minutes ago, brob said:

As I said in the post you quoted, the build is a bit overkill. AIO was selected to satisfy OP desire for a good looking build. If a custom loop is truly desired, there is no point in getting a cpu cooler.

GPU was selected as it more than satisfies display requirements and adding a second will not tax the system.

Threadripper would be an utter waste of money given the use case.

I mean a 300w+$135 cooler is overkill for a 105w cpu.  There’s a food deal of fuzziness in wattage because of BS behavior between the cooler makers and the cpu makers, but not 300% there are $50 coolers that have been publicly claimed to do a decent if not necessarily stellar job of cooling that chip. Not even top end air coolers.  More high-mid.  5 pipe coolers.  Could be a bit light though so go for a 6pipe.  That’s still way way under a Benjamin unless you go absolutely top end on those.  Put a 5950 with exactly the same cooling solution it gets closer.  Still hefty but closer.  Run to an 10850k (weaker but hotter) you get closer yet.  Almost in range even.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I mean a 300w+$135 cooler is overkill for a 105w cpu.  There’s a food deal of fuzziness in wattage because of BS behavior between the cooler makers and the cpu makers, but not 300% there are $50 coolers that have been publicly claimed to do a decent if not necessarily stellar job of cooling that chip. Not even top end air coolers.  More high-mid.  5 pipe coolers.  Could be a bit light though so go for a 6pipe.  That’s still way way under a Benjamin unless you go absolutely top end on those.  Put a 5950 with exactly the same cooling solution it gets closer.  Still hefty but closer.  Run to an 10850k (weaker but hotter) you get closer yet.  Almost in range even.

Do you have an actual point to make or are you simply wanting to argue a point that is not in dispute?

10 minutes ago, brob said:

Do you have an actual point to make or are you simply wanting to argue a point that is not in dispute?

I suppose I could have replied with that instead I guess.  Struck me as needlessly confrontational so I end ran it.  Comes out the same I guess. 

Thank you both! You’ve been of tremendous help. Going to pick a system and will definitely let you know, and the forum for future reference!

Is this a single core load or a multicore load?

Since if you really need some absurd single core speed you will have to overclock like crazy

19 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Is this a single core load or a multicore load?

Since if you really need some absurd single core speed you will have to overclock like crazy

Thankfully multicore 😅

On 8/29/2021 at 5:02 PM, Bombastinator said:

Could be in this case.  Custom loop has uses.  It’s the king of low noise for one. You can put a big hot machine in a small box and make it very low noise with custom loop.  Cooling threadripper on air is hard especially if you get into upper end high core count ones. Threadripper has two things that are handy: large numbers of cores and large numbers of pcie lanes. Virtual machines can sometimes make use of those lanes.  I don’t know much about VM stuff though. Temptation to reuse your current video card. It’s there, it’s free, and if it’s got enough video out for you it’s all that would be needed. 

here’s a threadripper build all the cores and all the lanes you could use.  Most of the money is in the cpu itself and the motherboard which may be more than you need.  Assumes reuse of the 1650 you got and I went lowball 3 fan for the cooler so I have no data on longevity.  Thing might suck.  Monitors als weren’t included.  I don’t know what you want for that.  Might be funny to show it to people with it just running league of legends to hear them scream “what is wrong with the world?!” in the hallway.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3960X 3.8 GHz 24-Core Processor  ($1699.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 360 74.82 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($147.06 @ iSanek) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA EATX sTRX4 Motherboard  ($1159.89 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($284.90 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($63.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($152.50 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($118.49 @ iSanek) 
Total: $3801.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-29 16:59 EDT-0400

I think a Threadripper may not be fully utilized enough to justify the markup. If there are more single thread task than multi-thread, then the high mobo and CPU cost would be a huge waste. More cores =/= better in all cases.

Say that instead @maumercado  swapped the Mobo for a b550 or x570 board, a NZXT X63 AIO, that would shave off nearly $1500

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | NZXT H510 Elite

Corsair Vengeance Pro 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super

NZXT Kraken X53 240mm AIO | Corsair RMx Series 1000W | HTC Vive Pro w/ FBT VR

2x 1TB M.2 Samsung 980 Pro | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO SSD | 4TB IronWolf | 2TB Barracuda

Main Uses: Desktop & VR Gaming, Unity & Blender, Python & C# Dev, DAWs/Abelton and Testing VMs