Windows 11 Compatibility

RobPlev
Go to solution Solved by C2dan88,

@RobPlevYou probably need to convert your drive from mbr to gpt before enabling secure boot

Been doing the PC Check thing to get ready for Windows 11. I've enabled TPM and that's now appearing in the Check app. It now says the only thing making me not compatible is secure boot. 

So in my BIOS I disabled CSM and enabled secure boot. After doing this my PC wouldn't post after 5 restarts and then it eventually did and the BIOS reverted back to CSM enabled. 

Anyone know if this is something that can be fixed? 

full specs?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 hours ago, RobPlev said:

Been doing the PC Check thing to get ready for Windows 11. I've enabled TPM and that's now appearing in the Check app. It now says the only thing making me not compatible is secure boot. 

So in my BIOS I disabled CSM and enabled secure boot. After doing this my PC wouldn't post after 5 restarts and then it eventually did and the BIOS reverted back to CSM enabled. 

Anyone know if this is something that can be fixed? 

Yes, so, that is normal. CSM makes the UEFI emulate the old BIOS for legacy hardware or OS.

The old BIOS can only interact with drives formatted as MBR (Master Boot Record).

UEFI can only interact with drives formatted as GPT (GUID Partition Table).

The good news is that you might be able to convert your drive between MBR to GPT.

Windows 10 has a tool built-in for this specific tasks, and you have third party software as well.

The guide linked by C2dan88 above, is one that shows how to do it with Windows 10 built-in utility. 

It must be noted that the tool requires that you have 3 or less partitions to work. If you have 4 (which is the max for MBR) then it won't work. You have to move the data and reduce the partition count to 3, or backup all your stuff, and delete every partition and restart from scratch. I would also advice to backup your data before. If it fails (and it can), your data will be gone.

-- Thread moved to Windows --

4 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

@RobPlevYou probably need to convert your drive from mbr to gpt before enabling secure boot

Worked like a charm! Instructions really easy to follow. Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, so, that is normal. CSM makes the UEFI emulate the old BIOS for legacy hardware or OS.

The old BIOS can only interact with drives formatted as MBR (Master Boot Record).

UEFI can only interact with drives formatted as GPT (GUID Partition Table).

The good news is that you might be able to convert your drive between MBR to GPT.

Windows 10 has a tool built-in for this specific tasks, and you have third party software as well.

The guide linked by C2dan88 above, is one that shows how to do it with Windows 10 built-in utility. 

It must be noted that the tool requires that you have 3 or less partitions to work. If you have 4 (which is the max for MBR) then it won't work. You have to move the data and reduce the partition count to 3, or backup all your stuff, and delete every partition and restart from scratch. I would also advice to backup your data before. If it fails (and it can), your data will be gone.

-- Thread moved to Windows --

Followed the instructions that C2dan88 linked and it worked like a charm.

By going into the thread as well I got more helpful info, that I need to update my DP firmware because I have a 10 series GPU. This explained the black screen I was getting. 

All sorted now and ready for Windows 11. Thanks for the extra info and warnings about data loss.