Huge change in idle temps dependant on Windows 10 power settings.

Lord_Gamaranth

i was noticing really high idle temps on my CPU (ryzen 5900x), even when i have my AIO (NZXT Kraken z73) all the way up, it was still at around 36-40c.

I changed the Windows power settings from Default to Power Saver, and it was an immediate drop to 26c.

does anyone know why this happens? and is there a good reason to not keep my computer in power saving mode?

here's the rest of my computers kit in case it matters.

Zotac Holo AMP 3080ti

Gigabyte Aorus Elite Pro WiFi

corsair 1200hi

vengeance pro rgb ram (4x16)

1 Samsung 980 pro (2TB)

2 Samsung 870 EVOs (2TB ea)

fractal define 7

You have a desktop, theres a lot less reason to use power saver. It ju st limits teh power that can be drawn, which will decrease performance

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

You have a desktop, theres a lot less reason to use power saver. It ju st limits teh power that can be drawn, which will decrease performance

The concern I'm having is less about performance loss and more about the 10+ degree change in idle temps, because unless im losing like, 15% or more performance, the temps are outrageous.

6 minutes ago, Lord_Gamaranth said:

The concern I'm having is less about performance loss and more about the 10+ degree change in idle temps, because unless im losing like, 15% or more performance, the temps are outrageous.

What is outrageous about 40C?

7 minutes ago, Lord_Gamaranth said:

Those temps are fine, just you have a dual ccx cpu.....

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Jeppes said:

What is outrageous about 40C?

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Those temps are fine, just you have a dual ccx cpu.....

maybe im just used to my old machine running cooler than that, but this is a brand new machine to me.

my old computer used an fx8350 and it didnt leave the 30s during idle. I figured that idle temps should be around there regardless of new revisions.

what about the 2nd ccx makes it run hotter at idle?

1 minute ago, Lord_Gamaranth said:

maybe im just used to my old machine running cooler than that, but this is a brand new machine to me.

my old computer used an fx8350 and it didnt leave the 30s during idle. I figured that idle temps should be around there regardless of new revisions.

what about the 2nd ccx makes it run hotter at idle?

It has two major hot spots not one....

It also has 12 core, it just draws a lot of power for them.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler