Connecting a AVR to my PC with external speaker monitors

jammycrumbs

I have a Yamaha RX-V671 and some KRK Rokit 5 Speaker monitors along with a KEF Subwoofer. i want to connect the KRK speakers and KEF Sub to the AVR with some XLR to RCA cables, then connect the AVR to my PC via HDMI but i am having some trouble, can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jammycrumbs

*no signal is coming through to the PC, so i cant play any music out of my speakers

Those Rokit speakers are powered monitors, meaning they have an amplifier built in already. They have an unbalanced line in then two balanced line in's. 

End of the day, connecting that type of speakers to a consumer AVR isn't exactly a common scenario but you should be able to use these outputs and connect to the unbalanced line-in's on the speakers. 

As for the sub, you didn't list a model so i have no idea if its powered and has an LFE input. Additionally, i might be blind but I can't seem to find an LFE/Sub out on that receiver? 

and so how should i connect the KRK speakers, because i want all of the speakers to link to 1 place then 1 cable goes into my pc

1 hour ago, jammycrumbs said:

and so how should i connect the KRK speakers, because i want all of the speakers to link to 1 place then 1 cable goes into my pc

IMO, you should just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect the speakers to the computer, there really is no reason to be using an AVR with a set of powered monitors. That AVR would be much better suited to a set of passive speakers.

If you're dead set on for some reason putting that AVR in between, you should use this output on the AVR and run them to the speakers unbalanced input using RCA.

I meant to include this pic in my last post. 

image.png.e2c3584a9d004e19feb8d7c3175a19ac.png

Also, I was being blind, there is a subwoofer LFE output here. You can just run it to the Left or Right input on the sub, or get an RCA Y-splitter:

image.png.445e0167c93762916c8a86536c39e9b7.png

image.png.17aeadff2c8b861e3e9f13fe3f96e11a.png

As for the connection from the PC to the receiver, i'd try to use optical S/PDIF into one of the inputs on the back. If not, you can try a 3.5mm to RCA to one of the analog outputs.

This whole setup is extremely messy and not really designed to be hooked up this way with those speakers. Its unclear whether if hooked up this way the AVR's volume control will still function.

yea you dont need a avr with those speakers
like said above your better off going 3.5mm jacks to rca"s from the mobo
that avr needs passive speakers

On 8/27/2021 at 11:06 PM, rickeo said:

You can just run it to the Left or Right input on the sub

Small note to add: If your subwoofer has 2 RCA inputs, and you only have an LFE cable that's mono, use the L channel on the subwoofer, as this is channel 1 and all subwoofers expect either a 2 channel input, or mono on the L channel.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)