Best free forum software suggestion

Hello, 

I am new in that forum. I have little website about tech in Turkish. 

In future, Maybe I can open a forum for users. 

I am asking you, What is best free forum software? Xenforo is good but so expensive. 

Discourse (not to be confused with Discord) seems to be among the most popular these days  - https://github.com/discourse/discourse

There are some other free options but I don't think they're as good. In particular Discourse certainly has the best mobile-optimised version

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

14 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Discourse (not to be confused with Discord) seems to be among the most popular these days  - https://github.com/discourse/discourse

There are some other free options but I don't think they're as good. In particular Discourse certainly has the best mobile-optimised version

Yes I know it but I can not use it in my host. Discourse wants servers, but I dont have and servers really expensive in Turkey. You know Dolar/TL

I suppose I can use only softwares based php.

Then phpbb, yabb, simplemachines ... to name a few... there you only need webspace that supports php...

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 minute ago, Anghammarad said:

Then phpbb, yabb, simplemachines ... to name a few... there you only need webspace that supports php...

How is mybb? I like it.  

Of what @Anghammaradsuggested I would personally recommend SimpleMachines, as that's what I've used in the past and I had no major issues. No doubt the others will work fine too.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

15 minutes ago, Google Home said:

Yes I know it but I can not use it in my host. Discourse wants servers, but I dont have and servers really expensive in Turkey. You know Dolar/TL

I suppose I can use only softwares based php.

You are misunderstanding the term server. Its not specifically something you need to rent online. But a description to a dedicated computer running a 64bit linux distro.

Hardware Requirements

• modern single core CPU, dual core recommended
  • 1 GB RAM minimum (with swap)
  • 64 bit Linux compatible with Docker
  • 10 GB disk space minimum

Its very lightweight and should be able to run of any simple computer/laptop you have laying around (No Raspberry tho, 64bit required)

Just now, Dujith said:

You are misunderstanding the term server. Its not specifically something you need to rent online. But a description to a dedicated computer running a 64bit linux distro.

Its very lightweight and should be able to run of any simple computer/laptop you have laying around (No Raspberry tho, 64bit required)

Should the PC be always on

Just now, Google Home said:

Should the PC be always on

If you want the forum to be online 24/7, then yes.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

SimpleMachines

İt s not looking like good to eye. ./

2 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

What is this forum powered by?

Invision Community. It's very expensive though, certainly not free/open source.

pythonmegapixel

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

If you want the forum to be online 24/7, then yes.

I may not do. How is mybb? 

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Invision Community. It's very expensive though, certainly not free/open source.

Is klei forums powered by that too?

screenshot for reference: (The color is normally white but I think these are popular posts so that's why they look reddish)

AF3C6E04-C9E1-4D48-8716-5AE8C9E13DF2.png

5 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Is klei forums powered by that too?

screenshot for reference: (The color is normally white but I think these are popular posts so that's why they look reddish)

If you scroll to the bottom it should say "powered by Invision Community" and I assume any other forum run by the same software will too:

image.thumb.png.a478790f40dcc9f63a72d5140fa2c23b.png

(Ignore the "Modified with a userscript" bit, I did that)

pythonmegapixel

Also I think some website making services lile Wix offer forums too

What forum script / software you use is irrelevant, if you won't actually get users to post and contribute. 

There's big forums like EEVBlog forum for example, that use the default simplemachines template, and do just fine, because people are interested in the content, not the looks.

You also don't need dedicated servers, but you need hosting that can offer a database and php language. It's cheap these days, for example Namecheap.com has shared hosting that costs around $18 for the first year, then double that for the following years... and there's a control panel which allows you to install a forum script with a few clicks.

You need to spend money to make money, if less than 2$ a month is not doable then sorry... maybe you shouldn't have a tech website. 

52 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You need to spend money to make money, if less than 2$ a month is not doable then sorry... maybe you shouldn't have a tech website forum

Fixed that for you.

(Just for a website, there absolutely are good free options available, as long as you are happy to do the heavy lifting of actually designing and writing the site yourself)

pythonmegapixel

53 minutes ago, mariushm said:

What forum script / software you use is irrelevant, if you won't actually get users to post and contribute. 

There's big forums like EEVBlog forum for example, that use the default simplemachines template, and do just fine, because people are interested in the content, not the looks.

You also don't need dedicated servers, but you need hosting that can offer a database and php language. It's cheap these days, for example Namecheap.com has shared hosting that costs around $18 for the first year, then double that for the following years... and there's a control panel which allows you to install a forum script with a few clicks.

You need to spend money to make money, if less than 2$ a month is not doable then sorry... maybe you shouldn't have a tech website. 

I already have host. cnrtechspot.com