Bought a new PSU and now my RX 480 doesnt work unless undervolted

Jose Varela
15 minutes ago, Jose Varela said:

No the GPU hasnt been repasted that was my last troubleshoot option if anything i had done fixed it. Because i dont know how to open this and then repaste it safely

Ah.  It’s a pretty simple process normally.  I don’t know what model you have and it will change a bit from model to model so I’ll treat this generically.  There may be a video on YouTube somewhere that will do this better.  First you got to turn off the machine for realz. A lot of modern computers don’t actually turn all the way off when they’re switched off.  Several ways to do this.  One simple one is flip the switch on the PSU.  Remove the power cables which on that card may be on one end, and remove the card from the machine so you can work on it.  It should (though isnt always) held in by one or several screws at the front, and the 16x card slot at the bottom which will have some sort of connector that has to be pulled or slid or some other thing to disconnect it.  There should be the card itself and the cooler on top which takes up most of the volume of the video card.  It’s made up of the shroud, the fans, and the cooler itself.  This can usually be treated as one piece though.  There should be a connector for fan power (either just on or one for each fan.  Usually just one though) and is held to the board with screws.  Remove the screws (commonly on the back of the card) and the board should just come off.  You may not even need to pull the fan cable if you’re careful and don’t try to dangle the cooler by the fan cable (which could over stress it) you want to remove all the old paste from both sides (usually whit gunk.  I’m thinking it will likely be totally hard by now) it dissolves in isopropyl (high purity) alcohol. Get both sides really clean and apply new paste. (My last purchase was kryonaut but more or less any paste will do)  It’s more or less just like pasting a cpu/cooler which it sort of is.  then if you detached the fan plug it into the same plug and just screw it back together. Not super duper tight as you don’t want to crack anything but it needs to be fairly firm. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  It’s a pretty simple process normally.  I don’t know what model you have and it will change a bit from model to model so I’ll treat this generically.  There may be a video on YouTube somewhere that will do this better.  First you got to turn off the machine (for realz. A lot of modern computers don’t actually turn all the way off when they’re switched off.  Several ways to do this.  One simple one is flip the switch on the PSU.  Remove the power cables which on that card may be on one end, and remove the card from the machine so you can work on it.  It should (though isnt always) held in by one or several screws at the front, and the 16x card slot at the bottom which will have some sort of connector that has to be pulled or slid or some other thing to disconnect it.  There should be the card itself and the cooler on top which takes up most of the volume of the video card.  It’s made up of the shroud, the fans, and the cooler itself.  This can usually be treated as one piece though.  There should be a connector for fan power (either just on or one for each fan.  Usually just one though) and is held to the board with screws.  Remove the screws (commonly on the back of the card) and the board should just come off.  You may not even need to pull the fan cable if you’re careful and don’t try to dangle the cooler by the fan cable (which could over stress it) you want to remove all the old paste from both sides (usually whit gunk.  I’m thinking it will likely be totally hard by now) it dissolves in isopropyl (high purity) alcohol. Get both sides really clean and apply new paste. (My last purchase was kryonaut but more or less any paste will do)  then if you detached the fan plug it into the same plug and just screw it back together. Not super duper tight as you don’t want to crack anything but it needs to be fairly firm. 

How much paste in Grams should i get. Here in my city i can only find 1g tubes for like 13-14$(currency converted) for the kryo

15 minutes ago, Jose Varela said:

How much paste in Grams should i get. Here in my city i can only find 1g tubes for like 13-14$(currency converted) for the kryo

I’ve never weighed it. I bought a 1 gram tube that seems like it should be good for 5 or 6 pastings. That doesn’t sound super cheap. Kryonaut is a premium paste that will give you a few extra degrees of cooling over more generic stuff but only that.  May not be worth it.  I paid $11 and thought it was sort of on the edge of what I though should be paying for thermal paste. .  There are a bunch of different types.  The only ones I would avoid are thermal epoxy because epoxy is glue and it will never coma apart again, and the liquid metal stuff because It can have issues reacting with various metals.  Basically any thermal paste will work though. With diamond filled paste which may cost even more than kryonaut it’s a bit more of a pain to clean later, but you don’t really need that either.  

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.