Bought a new PSU and now my RX 480 doesnt work unless undervolted

Jose Varela

I changed from a Gamemax GP-500 (500w bronze plus) to a Sharkoon Silent Storm 650w gold plus. And now my GPU only works perfectly undervolted in power limit radeon wattman as low as -50, tried -40 choppy gameplay, -30 even more choppy gameplay,-20 choppy gameplay some games crash pc. Is this a PSU Voltage problem. Or is my GPU to old to handle a new PSU?. Just in case at stock wattman settings so no power limit change it can play some games perfectly, but it dies in games like Witch it, Rainbow 6, Remnant from the ashes, and recently the beta of riders republic(just after the first cinematic jump into gameplay). 

Also changed from a b550m pro vdh wifi mobo to a b550m gaming edge wifi

In case this is the full rig 

Msi rx 480 gamingx 8gbs
x2 G.Skill trident Z 3600mhz(xmp on)
Ryzen 5800x
Msi b550m gaming edge wifi
Sharkoon Silent Storm 650w gold plus

4 minutes ago, Jose Varela said:

I changed from a Gamemax GP-500 (500w bronze plus) to a Sharkoon Silent Storm 650w gold plus. And now my GPU only works perfectly undervolted in power limit radeon wattman as low as -50, tried -40 choppy gameplay, -30 even more choppy gameplay,-20 choppy gameplay some games crash pc. Is this a PSU Voltage problem. Or is my GPU to old to handle a new PSU?. Just in case at stock wattman settings so no power limit change it can play some games perfectly, but it dies in games like Witch it, Rainbow 6, Remnant from the ashes, and recently the beta of riders republic(just after the first cinematic jump into gameplay). 

Msi rx 480 gamingx 8gbs
Ryzen 5800x

If it works fine with the old psu, I think it is a psu problem. Never heard of that brand before so I am a little sketched out about it. 

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Sounds like a PSU issue, Sadly Not all PSU's are labelled properly. It sounds like a real sketchy power supply. sounds like the 650W PSU is not really a 650W unit, probably is a 450 or 500.

Sharkoon is actually listed in A tier in the PSU tier list under low priority unit, so it's definitely not a sketchy psu by any means

Ryzen 5800x | Asus ROG STRIX B550-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb | ASUS TUF GAMING OC RTX 3070 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb | Corsair RM750x

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Sounds like a PSU issue, Sadly Not all PSU's are labelled properly. It sounds like a real sketchy power supply. sounds like the 650W PSU is not really a 650W unit, probably is a 450 or 500.

The old one may not be accurate either.  Also there’s more to a PSU than watts.  There’s how clean the power is and other stuff.  Possible the video card has an issue with one of those other things.  I’m not knowledgeable about the specifics of power supplies though there are those here that are.  I just look at the PSU tierlist which is a thing made by people that are.   I’m mostly concerned with safety myself.  I want a PSU that fails in a way that is not dangerous for the other parts of the computer, though I suppose one that allows things to work in the first place is also needed.  There is a PSU section much like the graphics card section in which the tierlist resides 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Areyn13 said:

Sharkoon is actually listed in A tier in the PSU tier list under low priority unit, so it's definitely not a sketchy psu by any means

The unit itself can be sketchy, as its not properly supplying the power. Stuff happens and you can get a bad unit. An EVGA 1600 T2 Unit recently Fried itself and a few components it was hooked up too, Just because its on a list saying it should be good doesnt mean much.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The old one may not be accurate either.  Also there’s more to a PSU than watts.  There’s how clean the power is and other stuff.  Possible the video card has an issue with one of those other things.  I’m not knowledgeable about the specifics of power supplies though there are those here that are.  I just look at the PSU tierlist which is a thing made by people that are.   I’m mostly concerned with safety myself.  I want a PSU that fails in a way that is not dangerous for the other parts of the computer, though I suppose one that allows things to work in the first place is also needed.

So you are saying youd love the Gigabyte 750 and 850m Units? 😉 It could be both but if the GPU was working fine with the 500 PSU, it just sounds like the 650 May have an Issue and could be RMA'd and such. Its hard to say what it exactly is, but from the info given it seems to be a Power related issue if the GPU was working fine before hand.

3 minutes ago, Areyn13 said:

That particular one or just A model by that company?  Brand name is not 100% reliable with PSUs any more than it is with anything else. Seems anyone is capable of making junk occasionally.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

So you are saying youd love the Gigabyte 750 and 850m Units? 😉 It could be both but if the GPU was working fine with the 500 PSU, it just sounds like the 650 May have an Issue and could be RMA'd and such. Its hard to say what it exactly is, but from the info given it seems to be a Power related issue if the GPU was working fine before hand.

Huhwhat?  No.  Not even sure how you got there.

I’m just stating a possibility.  There apparently isn’t any known good here is all. I don’t know what his video card likes about that PSU.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Huhwhat?  No.  Not even sure how you got there.

I’m just stating a possibility.  There apparently isn’t any known good here is all. I don’t know what his video card likes about that PSU.

You mentioned you wanted safe powersupply, those two units have been tested and shown to be pretty explosive when they fail. Was a joke 🙂 

Since theres 2 new parts, its not exactly a simple one or the other.

11 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

You mentioned you wanted safe powersupply, those two units have been tested and shown to be pretty explosive when they fail. Was a joke 🙂 

Since theres 2 new parts, its not exactly a simple one or the other.

Ah.  I knew about the explosiveness.  It seemed like a dig.  Jokes go over my head a lot especially if they include sarcasm.  I’m not good at detecting sarcasm.  Me and that guy from Big Bang theory. 

I agree it isn’t simple.  

6 hours ago, Shimejii said:

The unit itself can be sketchy, as its not properly supplying the power. Stuff happens and you can get a bad unit. An EVGA 1600 T2 Unit recently Fried itself and a few components it was hooked up too, Just because its on a list saying it should be good doesnt mean much.

I have a warranty for the psu still, would you recommend using it to get a replacement or should i get another one. Taking in consideration that i live in Chile(south america) and not many PSUS arrive here

36 minutes ago, Jose Varela said:

I have a warranty for the psu still, would you recommend using it to get a replacement or should i get another one. Taking in consideration that i live in Chile(sout america) and not many PSUS arrive here

that psu is sketchy as heck, get a proper one, even if its difficult 

Check here for A or B tier

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

that psu is sketchy as heck, get a proper one, even if its difficult 

Check here for A or B tier

In the store right now this are the available ones that are just a little more priced than my current psu if i use the warranty but can pay for in case 
https://nzxt.com/product/c650
https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1632
https://bitfenixshop.us/product/formula-gold-650w/

Just now, Jose Varela said:

In the store right now this are the available ones that are just a little more priced than my current psu if i use the warranty but can pay for in case 
https://nzxt.com/product/c650
https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1632
https://bitfenixshop.us/product/formula-gold-650w/

Yeah, the bequiet and the bitfenix are very good! 👍

Stay away from nzxt tbh.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah, the bequiet and the bitfenix are very good! 👍

Stay away from nzxt tbh.

Thank you for your time. Will be reporting later if the PSU was really the problem. To also keep future buyers from my same PSU to be aware also.

5 hours ago, Jose Varela said:

Msi rx 480 gamingx 8gbs
Ryzen 5800x

does not seem like psu issue, it seems like heating issue. your new psu is better than your old one and should work fine.,

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

33 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

does not seem like psu issue, it seems like heating issue. your new psu is better than your old one and should work fine.,

Thats the thing, i dont think this is a heat issue, i literally rendered blender animations one week before the change. And when i changed the PSU those same renders would crash my PC on the same stock settings,

On 8/25/2021 at 2:47 AM, Jose Varela said:

Thank you for your time. Will be reporting later if the PSU was really the problem. To also keep future buyers from my same PSU to be aware also.

Came back to this, changed the psu to the be quiet and sadly the problem continues. So i guess my gpu is just overheating i guess

24 minutes ago, Jose Varela said:

Came back to this, changed the psu to the be quiet and sadly the problem continues. So i guess my gpu is just overheating i guess

What case is this build in? I just recently changed cases and had an issue where I was over heating my PSU, but it was from the hot air coming out of other components. 

If the PSU is overheating, the system should just shut down. It sounds to me like your GPU is overheating. What are the temps on it when it starts acting up?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

What case is this build in? I just recently changed cases and had an issue where I was over heating my PSU, but it was from the hot air coming out of other components. 

If the PSU is overheating, the system should just shut down. It sounds to me like your GPU is overheating. What are the temps on it when it starts acting up?

The case is the be quiet 500dx and i dont check the temps when on stock settings. But it is almost instantly and the PC doesnt shut off. The display just dies and the gpu fans go wild until i manually turn off the pc. The strange thing is it didnt happened before with my old PSU and now that i changed 2 times the PSU to a one that is now better i just guess there most be something with the voltage my gpu is receiving or my GPU is indeed just overheating and with my old psu it just didnt reached higher temps that it used to. Wich might explain why i need to undervolt it in wattman to -50 in power limit in order for it to work

11 minutes ago, Jose Varela said:

The case is the be quiet 500dx and i dont check the temps when on stock settings. But it is almost instantly and the PC doesnt shut off. The display just dies and the gpu fans go wild until i manually turn off the pc. The strange thing is it didnt happened before with my old PSU and now that i changed 2 times the PSU to a one that is now better i just guess there most be something with the voltage my gpu is receiving or my GPU is indeed just overheating and with my old psu it just didnt reached higher temps that it used to. Wich might explain why i need to undervolt it in wattman to -50 in power limit in order for it to work

You're only using PSU cables that came with the BeQuiet right?

My guess here would be that your GPU was overheating and causing some issues. You had thought it was PSU issues so you changed PSUs and then didn't change all the cables. Sharkoon power supply cables will not work in any other brand. Same with Corsair. Corsair cables will not work in any other brand, Gigabyte, EVGA, all that same way. They're all different on the power supply side, but the same on the component side. 

Edited by IkeaGnome
Had this thread mixed with a different one.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

You're only using PSU cables that came with the BeQuiet right?

My guess here would be that your GPU was overheating and causing some issues. You had thought it was PSU issues so you changed PSUs and then didn't change all the cables. Sharkoon power supply cables will not work in any other brand. Same with Corsair. Corsair cables will not work in any other brand, Gigabyte, EVGA, all that same way. They're all different on the power supply side, but the same on the component side. 

Yeah i returned all the cables with the sharkoon when i used the warranty so i am only using be quiet cables, the only thing i am not using is the power cord. Because i dont have the power cord transformer thats compatible with my wall outlet. so i am using an old power cord thats compatible. But i have read online that it shouldn't matter

44 minutes ago, Jose Varela said:

Was this gpu repasted?  If it’s a gpu overheating issue the paste may have dried up if it’s never been repasted.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Was this gpu repasted?  If it’s a gpu overheating issue the paste may have dried up if it’s never been repasted.

No the GPU hasnt been repasted that was my last troubleshoot option if anything i had done fixed it. Because i dont know how to open this and then repaste it safely