Need side panel replacment?

Axgk
Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

it'll be ugly as hell, but it'll work.

It will be more durable than cardboard, and should be cheap.

(The best fix is to buy a new case, but you could do that after the move)

Hello!

Both of my tempered glass side panels broke as stated in a previous post (way past warranty im pretty sure), and I was wondering if I could replace it with acrylic or something of the sort. I cant seem to find anyone selling them online and was wondering if I could get pointed in the right direction.

Sizes are 17.25x17.25

its screwed at 4 points.

acrylic preferred as it is stronger.

Thank you very much!

Yeah just go to a shop and ask them to cut a panel. Or do it yourself.

I mean you could also do a glass one again. Glass scoring and snapping isn't hard really. The only hard part is drilling. Plenty of tutorials for any of these options on youtube.

Most glass shops will cut and drill glass for you. 

Most hardware stores carry acrylic, lexan, various types of plastic in sheets in various sizes you can cut and drill yourself. Some will cut it for you. Generally I prefer cutting it myself though.

Finally in my area I have a nice fish store that makes custom fish tanks that also will cut things like this. I'm sure a lot of these stores would say no if you ask them for a PC panel, but if you just ask for a acrylic panel in the dimensions you need you'll have better luck.

You can also try to contact the manufacturer to see if they'll send you or sell you replacements 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

15 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You can also try to contact the manufacturer to see if they'll send you or sell you replacements 

Was entirely my fault, And I dont know the manufacturer 

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

Most glass shops will cut and drill glass for you. 

Most hardware stores carry acrylic, lexan, various types of plastic in sheets in various sizes you can cut and drill yourself. Some will cut it for you. Generally I prefer cutting it myself though.

Finally in my area I have a nice fish store that makes custom fish tanks that also will cut things like this. I'm sure a lot of these stores would say no if you ask them for a PC panel, but if you just ask for a acrylic panel in the dimensions you need you'll have better luck.

How do I get them to do the holes? Should I get measurements exactly or what?

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Yeah just go to a shop and ask them to cut a panel. Or do it yourself.

I mean you could also do a glass one again. Glass scoring and snapping isn't hard really. The only hard part is drilling. Plenty of tutorials for any of these options on youtube.

Dont have time to drill myself, How do I get them to drill the holes and stuff for me?

1 hour ago, Axgk said:

How do I get them to do the holes? Should I get measurements exactly or what?

Yes you need to have the measurements already. You may find it a little pricey for a piece of glass by the time you get holes drilled and such.  Hardware store will cut plastic sheets, I don't know of any around me that will still them. You will have to do that. 

Better make sure your measurements are pretty good as if it's glass it's going to be hard to fix or change once you have holes in it. The "plastic" would be a bit more forgiving. This where doing it yourself and being able to trial fit it as you go might be an advantage if you have the ability / tools.

Just now, OhioYJ said:

Yes you need to have the measurements already. You may find it a little pricey for a piece of glass by the time you get holes drilled and such.  Hardware store will cut plastic sheets, I don't know of any around me that will still them. You will have to do that. 

Better make sure your measurements are pretty good as if it's glass it's going to be hard to fix or change once you have holes in it. The "plastic" would be a bit more forgiving. This where doing it yourself and being able to trial fit it as you go might be an advantage if you have the ability / tools.

Just looked it up, isnt acrylic very static?

12 minutes ago, Axgk said:

Just looked it up, isnt acrylic very static?

It can be. However it will be attached to a grounded PC case.  Acrylic has been used for many years and is still used today for cases. 

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

You'd have to use normal glass though, as you can't drill tempered without shattering it. It has to be drilled before it's tempered. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

1 hour ago, HM-2 said:

You'd have to use normal glass though, as you can't drill tempered without shattering it. It has to be drilled before it's tempered. 

Yeah that's what I referred to.

10 hours ago, Axgk said:

Dont have time to drill myself, How do I get them to drill the holes and stuff for me?

Be prepared to pay a pretty penny. Might even be cheaper to get a new case :p.

Either way you'll need to have VERY precise measurements so everything is drilled correctly. Cutting sheets and glass is quick and easily done at all major hardware stores basically but drilling holes you might need to find someone for that.

if you're not willing to do the drilling / etc yourself?

Buy a new case.  (I just looked online, and the first shop I saw cost 71$ USD for a single 17.25x17.25 Tempered glass  panel, with no holes drilled.)

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

if you're not willing to do the drilling / etc yourself?

Buy a new case.  (I just looked online, and the first shop I saw cost 71$ USD for a single 17.25x17.25 Tempered glass  panel, with no holes drilled.)

Assuming I would have to take out all of the parts from the PC? And put them in a new case?

yup.  But more effort if you wanna do it slow / cautious like, but it's not bad.

And you can get a solid case for 100$.  or less, if you want.

You can post a pic of your current case?  Maybe we can ID it so you can see if the manuf will sell panels.

7 hours ago, jaslion said:

Be prepared to pay a pretty penny. Might even be cheaper to get a new case :p.

Either way you'll need to have VERY precise measurements so everything is drilled correctly. Cutting sheets and glass is quick and easily done at all major hardware stores basically but drilling holes you might need to find someone for that.

Im completely fine with that. 

you think if I take a piece of cardboard and cut it to the same size as the panel it would work? With holes in the same spot?

Just now, tkitch said:

yup.  But more effort if you wanna do it slow / cautious like, but it's not bad.

Honestly my most favorite option would be a metal panel with same measurements, as long as it would function the same and I can move my pc whenever I need to.

These broke a while ago, but Im moving so now i need them again.

Thank you for the help btw

2 minutes ago, Axgk said:

Im completely fine with that. 

you think if I take a piece of cardboard and cut it to the same size as the panel it would work? With holes in the same spot?

better than cardboard would be Coroplast.  Corrugated Plastic.  

Some hardware stores carry it, or if you ask a sign shop, they would probably sell you a blank piece.  You can cut it with a box cutter.  

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

You can post a pic of your current case?  Maybe we can ID it so you can see if the manuf will sell panels.

Sure

also thank you for helping me get out of bed lol

image.jpg

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

better than cardboard would be Coroplast.  Corrugated Plastic.  

Some hardware stores carry it, or if you ask a sign shop, they would probably sell you a blank piece.  You can cut it with a box cutter.  

Oh that stuff, anyway, any static stuff is fine as long as my pc case is grounded? How do I check if its grounded?

Just now, tkitch said:

while it's plugged into a wall it's grounded.

Got it. What happens if it isnt. Like If im moving the PC like im planning to

your case is a metal box, it'll be fine.  

Static is way less risky than rumors make it out to be.  Watch the LTT Video with Electroboom

Just now, tkitch said:

your case is a metal box, it'll be fine.  

Static is way less risky than rumors make it out to be.  Watch the LTT Video with Electroboom

Got it, ill watch that video, anyway, you would recommend that plastic for what my needs are?, sounds good to me if so. Unless you know something else that would have somewhat of a same effect