Is this actually a worthy upgrade for my system?

Go to solution Solved by Faa,

Fps improved to 20ish max after the newest drivers so I'd guess its definetly CPU bottlenecked though the driver improved that issue.

Well lots of Arma 3 benchmarks you see around on the net are far from realistic, even if they do multiplayer scenario's it won't be accurate enough and the results would be all over the place. Intel is massively faster in terms of per core performance because most games dont even take any advantage of more than 2 or 4 cores. A friend upgraded his 8350 to an i5 and he gained nearly in all of his games a 100% gain including Arma & Dayz.

Hey folks,

I got the change to get a Intel Core i5 2500K (new Price 180€) and a MSI Z68A-G43(new price around 60ish) for 130€.

So the question I'm asking my self is if I will notice a tendable performence Increase in gaming and light video editing (I dont really care render times hence they usually are around 10 minutes)

Current specs in Signature

Thanks!

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

your current build looks good to me

no need imo

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

your current build looks good to me

no need imo

Well the issue is, that I am seeing terrible fps results on Arma 3 especially, and it really bothers me.. I've tried several things to change it but it seems as if my CPU is bottlenecking the whole game.

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Well the issue is, that I am seeing terrible fps results on Arma 3 especially, and it really bothers me.. I've tried several things to change it but it seems as if my CPU is bottlenecking the whole game.

to tell you the truth

nothing can ran arma 3 properly :P

EDIT

it seems upgrading the CPU will do nothing really

a better GPU will get you better FPS

CPU_03.png

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

to tell you the truth

nothing can ran arma 3 properly :P

I'm aware of that.. but being stuck at absolutly unplayable below 15 fps is not acceptable for me anymore.. It does not matter which mission I play.. I've created my own mission containing a whole lot of nothing and my fps just dont change.

The game is utilizing my GPU to about 50% and it clocks up to 1224MhZ through TurboBoost. The CPU meanwhile gets loaded roughly 20% (avg. on 6 cores). I've heared that Hyperthreading and such would improve the situation drastically.

I'm aware of that.. but being stuck at absolutly unplayable below 15 fps is not acceptable for me anymore.. It does not matter which mission I play.. I've created my own mission containing a whole lot of nothing and my fps just dont change.

The game is utilizing my GPU to about 50% and it clocks up to 1224MhZ through TurboBoost. The CPU meanwhile gets loaded roughly 20% (avg. on 6 cores). I've heared that Hyperthreading and such would improve the situation drastically.

see my updated post above

a better CPu wont really do anything

Where is that benchmark from? I've been looking for ages for a decent CPU bench wich is not from russian websites :D

Then you're wrong. And stop linking gpu bound benchmarks.

You'd see a fps gain of up to 100% in cpu limited scenario's like here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2013/09/SC2HotS-pcgh.png

Just don't listen to him, 15 fps with a 660ti is definitely a cpu bottleneck no questions asked.

Then you're wrong. And stop linking gpu bound benchmarks.

You'd see a fps gain of up to 100% in cpu limited scenario's like here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2013/09/SC2HotS-pcgh.png

Just don't listen to him, 15 fps with a 660ti is definitely a cpu bottleneck no questions asked.

Fps improved to 20ish max after the newest drivers so I'd guess its definetly CPU bottlenecked though the driver improved that issue.

Well lots of Arma 3 benchmarks you see around on the net are far from realistic, even if they do multiplayer scenario's it won't be accurate enough and the results would be all over the place. Intel is massively faster in terms of per core performance because most games dont even take any advantage of more than 2 or 4 cores. A friend upgraded his 8350 to an i5 and he gained nearly in all of his games a 100% gain including Arma & Dayz.