[KG] Good news everyone, Gaming can make your brain thicker (and more developed)

KakaoDj

Source

Wooooo, now i don't need to study physics, gaming will take care of my brain for me  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

The debate about whether gaming has much of an impact on the brains of the world and particularly the young, has been racing since time began, or at least over the past few decades. However one study is now purporting to have evidence that shows certain parts of the brain developing more and “thickening,” in certain adolescents that spend more time gaming than average.

As Wired reports, the PLOS One study concluded that there appeared to be a “robust” correlation between those that gamed and those with thicker and more developed left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC) and left frontal eye fields (FEF). No thinning was associated with the brain thanks to gaming either, putting to bed the idea that it “rots” your brain for good.

KitGuru Says: Now I want to see a study to see if certain genres of games help develop particular parts of the brain. They could then theoretically provide very specific treatments for ailments that affect those parts of the brain. 

That would indeed be cool

brainthickness.jpg

Really? That's Sweet!

"Just another day at the office" Captain Price -Call of Duty

So you are saying games have made us all a bit thick.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Actually the thickness of brains does not really have anything to do with intelligence. The amount of ridges is a lot more relevant but this is still cool news!

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Actually the thickness of brains does not really have anything to do with intelligence. The amount of ridges is a lot more relevant but this is still cool news!

I'm actually giggling just like Luke when Linus makes a dirty pun

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm actually giggling just like Luke when Linus makes a dirty pun

Wha?

oh holy jesus, i hope that was by accident, makes it so much better  :lol:

oh holy jesus, i hope that was by accident, makes it so much better  :lol:

I don't get it... is the word "thickness" funny?

No is the ridges that makes it "better" Like Khajiits with barbs on Skyrim   :lol:

-------

Current Rig

-------

you have to read the thread like a 13 year old boy to understand  :P

you have to read the thread like a 13 year old boy to understand  :P

In that case yeah this is outside my comprehension :)

Well it's kinda obvious that certain games improve certain parts of your brain. If you play enough games that require fast reactions then your reaction time and precision gets better, puzzle games can improve your thinking capacity for solving problems, RPG's can improve your storytelling and geek out skills :P

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Well it's kinda obvious that certain games improve certain parts of your brain. If you play enough games that require fast reactions then your reaction time and precision gets better, puzzle games can improve your thinking capacity for solving problems, RPG's can improve your storytelling and geek out skills :P

it's only logical

I've been getting slow... seems likeI need more gaming.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Lol "geek out skills" :D

I'd also add that gaming can help introduce people to technology, troubleshooting, modding and general game design thus resulting in gamers having the potential to be more intelligent in those areas when compared to nongamers.

No wonder us pc gamers are so smart.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|