computer restarts when trying to boot to cmd

Derrk

Recently tried cloning my OS onto a new ssd. But it won't boot from that drive. I think there's something wrong with the master boot record, but the computer restarts when i try to boot into cmd

29 minutes ago, Derrk said:

Recently tried cloning my OS onto a new ssd. But it won't boot from that drive. I think there's something wrong with the master boot record, but the computer restarts when i try to boot into cmd

This is like the 4th suggestion for a linuxLiveCD USB key I’ve made in even fewer days.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This is like the 4th suggestion for a linuxLiveCD USB key I’ve made in even fewer days.

I do not want to use linux. I'm just curious why I powercycle when trying to boot to cmd

Just now, Derrk said:

I do not want to use linux. I'm just curious why I powercycle when trying to boot to cmd

The point behind such things is mostly just that Linux isn’t windows. A BSD or other OS would work too maybe.  Just something primitive that ignores windows peculiarities.  I don’t know why it’s doing that.  If it’s a windows thing going non-windows takes windows out of the equation though.  Just as a diagnostic thing.  If you’ve got an older machine that won’t run win11 though (which seems so far to be most of them) something non-windows may be in your future though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.