Case Airflow Guides - Tried???

dmmsta
Go to solution Solved by Kinda Bottlenecked,
9 hours ago, dmmsta said:

having worked more on datacentre based servers more than any other hardware in the last 5-10yrs, I'm wondering if "guides" in side a desktop case would help cooling.

Forcusing airflow onto the key componants rather than just allowing air to move "front to back".

I was thinking case wide "guides" could be imployed to "focus" the airflow to the GPU & CPU.

I'm guessing that this is all considered by case manufacturers, but wondered if anyone has thought about this, and "tinkered" with the idea...?

having worked more on datacentre based servers more than any other hardware in the last 5-10yrs, I'm wondering if "guides" in side a desktop case would help cooling.

Forcusing airflow onto the key componants rather than just allowing air to move "front to back".

I was thinking case wide "guides" could be imployed to "focus" the airflow to the GPU & CPU.

I'm guessing that this is all considered by case manufacturers, but wondered if anyone has thought about this, and "tinkered" with the idea...?

Wanderer of the Internet.  Gamer of Games   Father of three

Relearning self-building, so please excuse the n00b questions for a while...

The problem with that is it does introduce turbulence which is noise to us. Airflow should move front to back in every case that has fans at the front and back. If you have hot air rising in your case, you need to turn your fans up 😄

I have played with all kinds of configurations, you can only do so much with consumer fans.. 60cfm is a joke 👍

Once you start using 120x38s, or slim industrials then things get interesting, but they are usually a little loud.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

9 hours ago, dmmsta said:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Ralfi said:

LOL I was just going to ask if this was a thing. Gotto check that video out.

its been around for sometime but airflow in pc cases these days have improved so much that there's no real need for this anymore. 

Its still a great mini project to do at home.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

38 minutes ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

its been around for sometime but airflow in pc cases these days have improved so much that there's no real need for this anymore. 

Its still a great mini project to do at home.

Oh there’s no way I’d do it. I’m just curious 😆 

Ahh YouTube. 

every crazy (or not so) idea on the planet recorded for viewing pleasure. 

don’t know why I didn’t look there first!

Wanderer of the Internet.  Gamer of Games   Father of three

Relearning self-building, so please excuse the n00b questions for a while...