Kingston KC2500 vs Samsung 980 (non-pro) as OS drive

Y33

I'm looking for a drive to replace my Kingston A2000 as OS drive in my desktop which I use mainly for development and gaming. While my motherboard (and CPU) supports PCIe 4, I don't think I have any workflows that would really benefit from those speeds (please correct me if I'm wrong here).

This lead me to the 500GB versions of both the Kingston KC2500 and the Samsung 980, which both sell for around €65,- here right now. Which one of these would make for a better OS drive? I know the Samsung 980 is DRAM-less but would that impact performance as an OS-drive?

Whats wrong as your current drive?

Both will work basically the same. Performance  won't really matter for these uses. Id probalby go samsung as they have a better reputation, and less issues in the past..

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Whats wrong as your current drive?

Both will work basically the same. Performance  won't really matter for these uses. Id probalby go samsung as they have a better reputation, and less issues in the past..

Oh no there's nothing wrong with my current drive, I just need it somewhere else.

The reputation point makes sense, although I've never had an issue with Kingston stuff in the past either (even have a couple of ancient 1GB DataTravelers still lying around).

How much is a 970 EVO Plus around you?

At the time of writing the 970 EVO Plus, at least around me, is cheaper and will outperform the 980. I have both of these drives.

Personally I am going to recommend Samsung, as they have been the most reliable and conformant drives I have personally  used vs other various brands including Kingston.

5 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

How much is a 970 EVO Plus around you?

At the time of writing the 970 EVO Plus, at least around me, is cheaper and will outperform the 980. I have both of these drives.

Personally I am going to recommend Samsung, as they have been the most reliable and conformant drives I have personally  used vs other various brands including Kingston.

970 EVO Plus goes for €87,- for the 500GB model. If I'm not mistaken then the difference in performance won't be enough to justify that price difference right?

29 minutes ago, Y33 said:

970 EVO Plus goes for €87,- for the 500GB model. If I'm not mistaken then the difference in performance won't be enough to justify that price difference right?

For an OS drive with a few programs probably not, but I also don't know how the actual value behind a euro(?)

Both are good drives and both will outperform what you currently have, so either way both options are still an upgrade.

10 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

For an OS drive with a few programs probably not, but I also don't know how the actual value behind a euro(?)

Those are indeed Euros, converted to USD that would be $76 for the KC2500 and 980 and $101 for the 970 EVO Plus. Don't think that's worth it but thanks for the suggestion!

22 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Both are good drives and both will outperform what you currently have, so either way it's still an upgrade.

As long as they perform better than what I've got now then I'll be satisfied. I'll have a look at whichever one has the shorter delivery time then.

If they have the same price, buy the Kingston KC2500, it is better since it doesn’t lack DRAM cache and for the better controller (dual-core with eight-channel - SM2262ENG - vs dual-core with four-channel - in-house -).