Xperia1II - Wireless charging causes phone to lose charge and heat up

Bought an Xperia 1II yesterday. Out of the box the phone had just 20% of charge, which is kind of weird considering all the phones I had started with more.

I used a wireless charging pad from Samsung to charge for three hours and a half for the second charge cycle. Came back realizing the phone had lost 30% of charge and was quite hot to the touch. I then removed it, charged wired for another 4 hours to full.

Brought it to work, 7 hours later with just 2 hours of screen-on time, I'm down to just 23% of charge. Definitely moderate use - I had Bluetooth headphones on for local music during transit (1 hour), and mostly used Chrome for web browsing, downloaded a few pictures and a short video clip, and no videos nor games.

I guess the question here is really whether having a phone heat up like that could cause the battery to deteriorate so bad it's doing this. I knew battery life can't be good for a phone with a 4k screen but this just seems bizzare. I also wonder how the battery is working for other Xperia 1II owners.