Printer advice please

LOST TALE
Go to solution Solved by LOST TALE,

I got an ancient moochrome laser printer and used voodoo Pc skills to get the driver working and also to fix its unknown error as the full manual can't be found lool

I want buyer advice.
I just need the basic ability to print black on white on the most ubiquitous format, connecting to windows 10.
I will print about 20 pages per year.

Please mention the price if you can, both new and used. I don't mind buying used.
It may seem like I should cheap out on the printer but I've had a horrible experience with inkjet (5$/page bs) and I want to pay more just for the peace of mind.

Thing's I'd like:
Compatible with non-proprietary cartridge's that anyone can manufacture.
low cost toner/page
low cost printer
Reliability (remember it's only 20 pages per year)

Almost worthless:
-size
-wifi. for how rare I print, I couldn't care less about moving it and plugging it in.

Things that are worthless:
- Scanning ability. I already have a scanner.
-More quality than is necessary for a document to be accepted when I'm the customer.
-included printer USB cables. I already have some.
-power consumption. Electricity here is less than 0.06$/kwh and I use electric heating in winter anyhow.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Brother Personal Laser Printer.

Staples has the, for 70-120$, depending on the sale.  (The higher priced ones also can be networked.)

https://www.staples.com/Brother-HL-L2320D-Monochrome-Laser-Printer/product_1074269?back=true

Printing under 100 pages a year, toner cost won't matter much.  Even the starter toner will last you several years.  (Get a refurb cartridge once you run out)

22 minutes ago, twinmat said:

well if your just going to be using it like 20 times a year i got a

its 60cad$ the black ink is 25$

but that my choice it has work for 4+ year still work great it was cheap 

I'd strongly advise against using ink at all if it's going to be used so infrequently, those print heads are gonna be clogged tight after a few months of no usage. I'm saying this from experience. Laser is the way to go for this usecase.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

8 minutes ago, cacoe said:

I'd strongly advise against using ink at all if it's going to be used so infrequently, those print heads are gonna be clogged tight after a few months of no usage. I'm saying this from experience. Laser is the way to go for this usecase.

really sometimes i have gone months with out printing and it has been fine

2 minutes ago, twinmat said:

sometimes it'll be okay, and then sometimes it won't, at all. Laser doesn't really run the same risk.

3 minutes ago, twinmat said:

I had a higher end Pixma at one point and although at time's I'd gone a few months with no prints, then heavy printing, think there was a dry spell for about 6 months and no matter the amount of head (😏) cleaning I tried to do it wouldn't let a drop of ink out that time around.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

Yeah, forget about inkjet and get a laser printer. 

I have Brother printer and can recommend them.

The drum on the cheapest laser printer is typically rated for 8-10k pages, and once you go over by some margin you may experience some crap on the edges of the paper or white vertical lines.

The starter toner that comes with a printer is typically good for around 500-800 pages, and retail toner is good for around 2-3000 pages and doesn't cost much.  

So if you print just 10-20 pages a month, you'll be fine. Maybe once every 2-3 weeks, pull out the toner and tap it with your fingers so that the powder inside stays "powder" and doesn't coagulate. Usually, it doesn't happen more often than 3-6 months, but it's a 1 minute thing you can do when you're bored.

IF you want for higher volume, do some research and get one that can be more easily refilled with generic toner.

On the cheapest, they have some protections so you can't just refill with generic toner. On the mid-range ones (let's say $200 or more) the retail toners can be refilled easily - depending on model you may have to buy some plastic gears and some springs (kits available for a few dollars on ebay) and install them on the side of the toner (the gear and spring is used to reset page counter and make the printer believe it's a fresh toner)

9 hours ago, tkitch said:

Brother Personal Laser Printer.

Staples has the, for 70-120$, depending on the sale.  (The higher priced ones also can be networked.)

https://www.staples.com/Brother-HL-L2320D-Monochrome-Laser-Printer/product_1074269?back=true

Printing under 100 pages a year, toner cost won't matter much.  Even the starter toner will last you several years.  (Get a refurb cartridge once you run out)

Brother Laser printers are the way.

I've owned Samsungs, HPs, Lexmarks, and Canons. They are all junk compared to Brother.

I own this one, but any variation of their Laser series is great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN78LY5

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

• 2 weeks later...

I got an ancient moochrome laser printer and used voodoo Pc skills to get the driver working and also to fix its unknown error as the full manual can't be found lool

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.