8700k - Delid questions

I have been getting around 80-85 degrees while gaming with my 8700k and I feel like it is time for delidding this CPU. I got it when it was released. I've seen the delidding tool, which I will get. With the delidding tool, things are easy.

However,

• Do I need any precautions? What should I be aware of in the process of applying liquid metal?
  • Does normal thermal paste work?
  • How do I put the IHS back? What should I use to re-lid?

Okay, I'm going to suggest 'slowing waaay down'

First, your temps of 80-85 aren't terrible.  CPUs don't throttle until 100C.

Second, what is your cooler?  

Third:  Have you reapplied paste / cleaned out the HSF / etc.

Fourth:  What's your case / how is the airflow?

delidding is cool, and may help, but in general it won't get you 10c.  It may get you 2-3. at best, unless your CPU's internals are really terrible.

20 minutes ago, Consul said:

I have been getting around 80-85 degrees while gaming with my 8700k and I feel like it is time for delidding this CPU. I got it when it was released. I've seen the delidding tool, which I will get. With the delidding tool, things are easy.

However,

• Do I need any precautions? What should I be aware of in the process of applying liquid metal?
  • Does normal thermal paste work?
  • How do I put the IHS back? What should I use to re-lid?

No real precautions using the tool other than be careful....

Yes normal thermal paste works. I use Antec Formula 7, but MX4 might be better without the diamond grit.

I use permatex ultra black you can find at any auto store. 

Install the IHS plate with a dot at each corner of the plate and clamp it in the socket. 24 hours cure time and you can turn the PC on without issues, although I personally don't wait to turn it on lol....

12 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Okay, I'm going to suggest 'slowing waaay down'

First, your temps of 80-85 aren't terrible.  CPUs don't throttle until 100C.

Second, what is your cooler?  

Third:  Have you reapplied paste / cleaned out the HSF / etc.

Fourth:  What's your case / how is the airflow?

delidding is cool, and may help, but in general it won't get you 10c.  It may get you 2-3. at best, unless your CPU's internals are really terrible.

My cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212X. I have reapplied paste (Kryonaut).

My case is Corsair 270r. One fan in the front, one fan in the back.

And yes, you'll easily drop 10c.

Call me crazy but I'd avoid doing this and improve case cooling and(or) buy a better cooler.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

Just now, cacoe said:

Call me crazy but I'd avoid doing this and improve case cooling and(or) buy a better cooler.

No way. Totally worth the effort. Mine dropped closer to 15c....

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

But is it worth the risk?

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

Do NOT waste the time / money / risk of your CPU by delidding with a 212.

Get a better HSF first.  You'll get way more of a temp drop from a Noctua cooler than delidding.

Also, get another intake fan on the front, your case doesn't have the best airflow in front, so you need the extra pressure to help.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If you dropped 15C, that's evidence you had a really shitty CPU.  Most people don't get near that.

Just now, cacoe said:

But is it worth the risk?

Well.... I've done many dozens of chips. So my experience has the risk pretty low. So for me, yes worth it.

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Get a better HSF first.  You'll get way more of a temp drop from a Noctua cooler than delidding.

Also, get another intake fan on the front, your case doesn't have the best airflow in front, so you need the extra pressure to help.

What Noctua cooler would you recommend for a reasonable price?

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

If you dropped 15C, that's evidence you had a really shitty CPU.  Most people don't get near that.

Maybe some research on your end, you'll find the information of lots of people getting massive temp drops. That's why it's so popular with this particular chip.

Also, my delidded 8700K has benched at 6ghz. And is in use today on air cooling. Plenty of benching on Liquid between 5.2 and 5.4ghz.

1 minute ago, Consul said:

What Noctua cooler would you recommend?

your case can support the big-boy, NH-D15.  The best Air-cooler out there.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Maybe some research on your end, you'll find the information of lots of people getting massive temp drops. That's why it's so popular with this particular chip.

Jumping from "my temps are a bit warm" to delidding and applying liquid metal is skipping some steps imo, just buy a better cooler and improve airflow, problem solved, zero risk instead of low risk. 

I was a bit nervous when I started this thread because I was set to delidding. Changing coolers and improving airflow is easy. I'll do that, thanks everyone!

Personal experience: deluding + LM dropped my 8700k by at least 10c or more.

I'm now able to run at almost 1.4v at load with air and not throttle.

Previously, 1.3v was the max before thermally impossible to cool on air and stress tests.

Also needed slightly less voltage for the same clocks due to less power leakage.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

21 minutes ago, Consul said:

I was a bit nervous when I started this thread because I was set to delidding. Changing coolers and improving airflow is easy. I'll do that, thanks everyone!

Well to be fair, if you are planning to delid, you'll end up doing those things anyway.

Delidding does 2 things really.

1. It reduces cooling requirements for the same voltage - in applications where maybe you have mini-itx or some other cooling limited scenarios, delidding can help. Basically, this is what PS5 and some laptops have done as they are direct die + LM.

2. If you combine with better cooling, you can usually get higher overclocks and need less voltage to get there.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Well to be fair, if you are planning to delid, you'll end up doing those things anyway.

Delidding does 2 things really.

1. It reduces cooling requirements for the same voltage - in applications where maybe you have mini-itx or some other cooling limited scenarios, delidding can help. Basically, this is what PS5 and some laptops have done as they are direct die + LM.

2. If you combine with better cooling, you can usually get higher overclocks and need less voltage to get there.

I have changed my mind though. I want to start with improving my cooler + airflow. If that doesn't give the results I expect, I might go for delidding.

1 minute ago, Consul said:

I have changed my mind though. I want to start with improving my cooler + airflow. If that doesn't give the results I expect, I might go for delidding.

I don't think the TIM under the IHS failed in all likelihood.

What my guess is, is that you recently upgraded your graphics card or are comparing your CPU temperatures to when you first built it, and games/apps have changed since then and have simply become more demanding, and as a result, you're seeing your CPU have to work harder and thus get hotter.

If that is the case, it's likely your measures will be the right solution. 

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

I don't think the TIM under the IHS failed in all likelihood.

What my guess is, is that you recently upgraded your graphics card or are comparing your CPU temperatures to when you first built it, and games/apps have changed since then and have simply become more demanding, and as a result, you're seeing your CPU have to work harder and thus get hotter.

If that is the case, it's likely your measures will be the right solution. 

Hot damn you read my mind lol

Also:

G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 DDR4 3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB at Amazon.com

Would my RAMs block Noctua NH-D15's fans?

I'd rather recommend Scythe Fuma 2 - then it's easier to swap RAM if necessary. As the thin front fan of the cooler won't block RAM at all.

About delidding - I don't know if the 6700K would have had even worse TIM than 8700K, but my 6700K after delidding+LM dropped almost 13-14C with an adequate cooler.

I edit my posts more often than not

4 minutes ago, Consul said:

You can raise the fan to accommodate most RAM, but it will depend on your case's width if the fan being raised will allow you to close the case.

I have a Corsair 275R Airflow, which is almost the same as the 270R. It accommodates the big Deepcool Assassin 3, which is similar in design and size to the Noctua. It BARELY fits with low profile Corsair LPX memory and the second fan basically touches the glass.

The Scythe Fuma 2 is good because it will fit all RAM and most cases, and performs pretty well.

Just now, Mister Woof said:

You can raise the fan to accommodate most RAM, but it will depend on your case's width if the fan being raised will allow you to close the case.

I have a Corsair 275R Airflow, which is almost the same as the 270R. It accommodates the big Deepcool Assassin 3, which is similar in design and size to the Noctua. It BARELY fits with low profile Corsair LPX memory and the second fan basically touches the glass.

The Scythe Fuma 2 is good because it will fit all RAM and most cases, and performs pretty well.

Yeah and it does seem like it performs closer to NH-D15 too.

Well I just installed the Scythe Fuma 2 and in the same game I'm getting around 55-60 degrees. This is crazy. Case fans will arrive today too, so they will decrease the temperature more.