Can I get away with 3 fans for now? Help :D

Hi,

Due to time constraints I am having to push forwards the building of my pc and unfortunately only have three Corsair ql120mm fans for airflow in the Lian Li o11 mini. I will be cooling a 5900x with a Noctua nhd15 chromax black and ill be using the Gigabyte RTX2060 oc as my gpu. Do you think this will be adequate air flow for these components and can you suggest a fan layout? 

I will be using my system quite heavily so the components will be pegged at quite high usage for long stints of time 😄 . 

Thanks for the help,

Stay safe,

Lex.

17 minutes ago, CriSis_ said:

Hi,

Due to time constraints I am having to push forwards the building of my pc and unfortunately only have three Corsair ql120mm fans for airflow in the Lian Li o11 mini. I will be cooling a 5900x with a Noctua nhd15 chromax black and ill be using the Gigabyte RTX2060 oc as my gpu. Do you think this will be adequate air flow for these components and can you suggest a fan layout? 

I will be using my system quite heavily so the components will be pegged at quite high usage for long stints of time 😄 . 

Thanks for the help,

Stay safe,

Lex.

Personally I'd go for two intake, one exhaust and see how it goes.  You can only really be sure by trial and error.

Its kinda hard for me to compare as my 2080 is a blower so doesn't exhaust any heat into the case.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Personally I'd go for two intake, one exhaust and see how it goes.  You can only really be sure by trial and error.

Its kinda hard for me to compare as my 2080 is a blower so doesn't exhaust any heat into the case.

I was thinking of doing one intake on the bottom, one on the side and an exhaust at the top 😄 please excuse the dreadful paint edited image but it should be good enough xD

fan intake and exhaust.png

5 hours ago, CriSis_ said:

I was thinking of doing one intake on the bottom, one on the side and an exhaust at the top 😄 please excuse the dreadful paint edited image but it should be good enough xD

Rear exhaust would be better. 

Use 2 fans at the bottom for intake if the case is on a flat surface and the openings around it aren't obstructed. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

23 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Rear exhaust would be better. 

Use 2 fans at the bottom for intake if the case is on a flat surface and the openings around it aren't obstructed. 

I found temps improve quite a lot on the NH-D15 having an intake directly onto it, but yes definitely helps to have exhaust directly behind it too.  Gives the CPU cooling a direct path in and out for optimal airflow.

I'd also ALWAYS use rear exhaust purely to avoid any air coming into the case that way as usually its the biggest place without dust filters.

Also, GPUs can really benefit from front intake as you can blow across the backplate.  Remember the die is nearer the PCB on GPUs so plenty of heat effectively gathers on the PCB.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

31 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I found temps improve quite a lot on the NH-D15 having an intake directly onto it, but yes definitely helps to have exhaust directly behind it too.  Gives the CPU cooling a direct path in and out for optimal airflow.

Also, GPUs can really benefit from front intake as you can blow across the backplate.  Remember the die is nearer the PCB on GPUs so plenty of heat effectively gathers on the PCB.

The rear exhaust will mostly help cool the graphics card as it's the best positioned fan for removing surrounding heat. 

Cooling the top of the pcb helps but not nearly as much as feeding air for the graphics card fans that cool the heatsink. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I went from 7 case fans to 3 in my Meshify C. I blocked off the top of the case, and the bottom front. Its super quiet compared to what I had before. At the same time these fans  are bigger, rev higher, and push a little harder when they spool up compared to my last setup. At full speed it is just as loud.. works great. So yeah.. you could get away with 3..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12 V2
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-B14, TY-143

10 hours ago, CriSis_ said:

Hi,

Thanks for the help,

Stay safe,

Lex.

dsose a d15 fit in the 011 mini? i no it dose not in the 011.

anyway gpu can benefit a lot for air so one on the bottom for it and could do one on front thow the air has to do an 90 degree with reused it performance. could do 1 intake on top front and one on the back might work,

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The rear exhaust will mostly help cool the graphics card as it's the best positioned fan for removing surrounding heat. 

Cooling the top of the pcb helps but not nearly as much as feeding air for the graphics card fans that cool the heatsink. 

Like this right? Excuse the cave man esque paint image haha

Lian LI 011 mini - rear exhaust, two intake.png

6 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

dsose a d15 fit in the 011 mini? i no it dose not in the 011.

anyway gpu can benefit a lot for air so one on the bottom for it and could do one on front thow the air has to do an 90 degree with reused it performance. could do 1 intake on top front and one on the back might work,

The d15 does fit surprisingly xD, the o11 mini is a chunky case. I was looking at doing one intake at the bottom for the gpu one on the side to go into the cpu cooler and an exhaust on the rear or top 😄 

2 hours ago, CriSis_ said:

The d15 does fit surprisingly xD, the o11 mini is a chunky case. I was looking at doing one intake at the bottom for the gpu one on the side to go into the cpu cooler and an exhaust on the rear or top 😄 

ya looks good

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 hours ago, CriSis_ said:

That's certainly what I had in mind, then you can always add a second bottom fan later once funds allow should you feel the need.

I'm a little sad my case doesn't support bottom fans as I suspect I will need them when I finally get to replace my GPU, as wont be getting another blower as they are stupidly loud.

13 hours ago, CriSis_ said:

Like this right? Excuse the cave man esque paint image haha

Spoiler

Yep.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yep.

Ok 😄, do you think that is best or this ? Just want to make sure xD

11 hours ago, CriSis_ said:

Ok 😄, do you think that is best or this ? Just want to make sure xD

Having a side fan mount higher up may be better for cooling the cpu but worse for the gpu. The gpu performance is generally more sensitive to temps. 

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Having a side fan mount higher up may be better for cooling the cpu but worse for the gpu. The gpu performance is generally more sensitive to temps. 

Ah ok 😄 , thanks for the help xD!