Display Port 1.2 vs HDMI (HDCP 2.2); which should I use for my monitor?

mt123

Hello there!

Currently I'm in the process of buying a monitor for my college dorm where I'll be connecting my Laptop to said display. I currently own a Dell XPS 17 9700, equipped with an i9-10885H, 32 GB memory, NVIDIA RTX 2060 Max-Q, and a 1 TB SSD, so I believe if I put this thing on a cooling stand, it'll be able to play my games at 1440p at 100Hz/ FPS. The reason I say 100 and not 120 or 144 is because I'm currently set on this monitor, the Dell S3422D, which is a 34 inch widescreen monitor that displays 1440p on a 21:9 screen ratio at 100Hz. I've been set on this monitor because physically, it's able to fit on my dorm-room desk. Otherwise, though, considering the display on my XPS 17 displays at 60Hz, I wouldn't want to feel like I'm looking at a crappy screen when I'm on the go. In essence, I wanted a high refresh rate monitor, but I didn't want it to be so high that it makes my laptop's internal display look so poorly when I use it.

Listed below is a link to the monitor on Dell's website, and they state that their monitor includes 2 HDMI (HDCP 2.2) ports and a Display 1.2 port. My question is which port should I use for my case, considering that I'd like to get the full use of my intended monitor - 1440p at 100Hz on a widescreen monitor? Just also want to add that while my XPS 17 only has Thunderbolt 3 ports, I have a docking station - Dell's D6000 - which includes both HDMI and Display ports and the included USB-A and HDMI dongle that came with my laptop.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-34-curved-monitor-s3422dw/apd/210-axns/monitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section

display port is the best option as long as your monitor supports it. 

dp 1.2 DisplayPort 1.2 can output 1080p and 1440p resolutions at 144Hz

3 minutes ago, Hailpokegodyt said:

display port is the best option as long as your monitor supports it. 

dp 1.2 DisplayPort 1.2 can output 1080p and 1440p resolutions at 144Hz

Sick. Do you know what the specs are for HDMI HDCP 2.2? Just curious, especially because Dell doesn't include a display port cable in the box, only HDMI.

8 minutes ago, mt123 said:

Sick. Do you know what the specs are for HDMI HDCP 2.2? Just curious, especially because Dell doesn't include a display port cable in the box, only HDMI.

If I were to guess, 4K 60 Hz or 120 Hz and extended colors ... but it's pretty much same as hdmi 2.0 and 2.1, just changed encryption a bit .. lame hdcp encryption and anti piracy measures.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.1

hdcp 2.2 is just the port. if you do get an hdmi you have to get a higher speed one. all display port cables will do 1440 144  but not all hdmi can. if you want hdmi, you need 2.0 or higher which may be hard to find and expensive. display ports will do the same job

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

If I were to guess, 4K 60 Hz or 120 Hz and extended colors ... but it's pretty much same as hdmi 2.0 and 2.1, just changed encryption a bit .. lame hdcp encryption and anti piracy measures.

Awesome. I guess I'll just utilize the HDMI cable/ port since I'll get a cord with the monitor. Though, this actually brought up another question: Considering I'll most likely be connecting my laptop to my display utilizing my docking station, will I be experiencing any bottle necks/ lag/ anything like this knowing that there will be a "middle man" in the connection? FYI, I connect my laptop to the docking station through Thunderbolt 3/ UBC-C.