College Headphones

Vandorlot

Currently I have the SHP9500s. I love everything about them, but I am going to college so I need closed back headphones so my roomate doesnt hear everything. I am looking for another pair of headphones. My biggest requirement is that the earcups are very big like my current headphones because I find it really comftorable. Price range around 100 but 150 is the max. Im mostly gonna be doing movie watching and music, but I will game occasioanlly. I'm also getting a mac if that matters. I don't really think I need wireless.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

Either Sony MDR 7506 (they fold small)

or sennhiser HD280pro (they are basically hearing protection with good drivers and comfy.)

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Either Sony MDR 7506 (they fold small)

or sennhiser HD280pro (they are basically hearing protection with good drivers and comfy.)

Those both look great. I kind of forgot to mention this but when I looked into them I saw both of them don't have detatchable cables. Do you know any that do have detatchable cables?

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

1 minute ago, Vandorlot said:

I saw both of them don't have detatchable cables.

Are you handy with a soldering iron?

If not, M40's? or srh 440

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

15 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Are you handy with a soldering iron?

If not, M40's? or srh 440

I've used one a couple times never with something like headphones. Should probably get better at using them though especailly considering im going into electrical/computer engineering though.

My Rig

Peripherals

12 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

I've used one a couple times never with something like headphones.

Just wondering, because the cables for the Sony and sennhiser can be replaceable with soldering.

I have seen mods where people put a 3.5mm female connector in place of a wire.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I don't know if they are still made and I'll probably get some hate for the suggestion, but I was and still am partial to the skullcandy Hesh 2's.  I have various different kinds of IEM's and over ears (sony mda-v55's something from akg, behringer hdx-3000, several different iem's I bought from massdrop) but I keep coming back to the hesh's.   They feel decent, have rubberized metal construction, and a detachable 3.5mm cable that is standard on both ends.  They also sound decent for the price.  If you really want to go high end, I second the senheiser recommendation. 

3 hours ago, Vandorlot said:

Currently I have the SHP9500s. I love everything about them, but I am going to college so I need closed back headphones so my roomate doesnt hear everything. I am looking for another pair of headphones. My biggest requirement is that the earcups are very big like my current headphones because I find it really comftorable. Price range around 100 but 150 is the max. Im mostly gonna be doing movie watching and music, but I will game occasioanlly. I'm also getting a mac if that matters. I don't really think I need wireless.

Akg k371 is my go to for this price point personally 

I'd wait and see what your roommates prefer. All 4 years in college my roommates were fine with my HD650's (and we were in a triple); if they normally use in-ears or closed backs it shouldn't be an issue (unless you like to listen to loud stuff while they're sleeping, or if they're too loud for you to use open backs comfortably). I had a couple of friends whose roommates used open backs and they were totally fine with that too. If you're in a dorm, there's a decent chance that the person with a speaker a few doors down is going to be making more noise in your room than you with your headphones.

Best to wait and see what conditions are really like before committing to a purchase; what you think you need right now and what you actually need could be completely different things.