Need Advice on Finding a Gamepad for PC

I've asked this question before and people don't seem to comprehend what I'm looking for for some weird reason, so I'll try to explain it again differently.

I'm looking for a PlayStation style USB gamepad for PC where the 4 shoulder buttons are all buttons, no paddles. On nearly all controllers, the lower L2 and R2 shoulder buttons are paddles, and I'm having the hardest time finding one that isn't some cheap $20 Chinesium piece of crap that will fall apart in a week.

This is for a friend of mine who needs it for physical reasons. We thought about the Xbox accessibility controller, but that's overkill and way too expensive for his needs.

Please help. Thank you.

--Michael "TheZorch" Haney
Content Creator for Zorch Central and Gamers Bay

Personal/Streaming Rig
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 1 TB Intel 660p SSD
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT Windforce OC
  • Thermaltake 600 W 80+ Gold
Adobe Editing Rig
  • AMD Threadripper 1950X
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro
  • x2 SLI Nvidia GeForce 1080 ti
  • Corsair 1200 W 80+ Platinum

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "paddles?" When I hear paddles, I think of the buttons that are on the back of the Xbox Elite controller that are sort of shaped like paddles, I don't think of the PlayStation controllers as having them. To me, those are more like triggers. Are you referring to their shape or how they work, analog vs digital? I know the Wii U Pro controller has those as digital, but they still have that shape. The Swtich Pro controller has them as digital, and the lower buttons look similar to the upper ones.

23 hours ago, Inelastic said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "paddles?" When I hear paddles, I think of the buttons that are on the back of the Xbox Elite controller that are sort of shaped like paddles, I don't think of the PlayStation controllers as having them. To me, those are more like triggers. Are you referring to their shape or how they work, analog vs digital? I know the Wii U Pro controller has those as digital, but they still have that shape. The Swtich Pro controller has them as digital, and the lower buttons look similar to the upper ones.

He means triggers.  He wants them to be all digital buttons.

He wants something like the old Logitech Dual Action Pro.

1538760541_LogitechDualAction-21.thumb.jpg.2c6eabaddaf46d9f9e85cdec11ed7565.jpg

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

On 8/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, TheZorch said:

I've asked this question before and people don't seem to comprehend what I'm looking for for some weird reason

It's because you say "paddles." Most people call what you're referring to triggers and would think of paddles as like the extra controls on the back of the Xbox Elite controller, or the paddle-shifters on some racing wheels.

If you want something well-constructed I think your best bet is to buy a Switch Pro controller. It isn't Playstation style, it's laid out closer to the Xbox controller actually, but it shouldn't fall apart, and all four shoulder buttons are digital.

Virtually any other modern controller on the market will have analog buttons/triggers for L2 and R2 because this is standard for the Xbox and Playstation. The Switch Pro is alone in not having analog triggers because the Joy-Cons don't. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Yes, I meant triggers, digital ones. We're looking at the Logitech controller. PS1/PS2 controllers are hard to find (original) still in box, most are cheap knock offs.

--Michael "TheZorch" Haney
Content Creator for Zorch Central and Gamers Bay

Personal/Streaming Rig
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 1 TB Intel 660p SSD
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT Windforce OC
  • Thermaltake 600 W 80+ Gold
Adobe Editing Rig
  • AMD Threadripper 1950X
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro