How to update Windows 7 Ultimate that can't use Windows Update?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
16 minutes ago, Z_Light said:

I have this old Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit PC that I want to update to the latest version of Windows 7. 

Windows Update doesn't work anymore and it gives a Code 80072EFE error when I try to check for updates.

For all I know it has never been updated since 2011(When this machine was setup) because it says "Updates were installed: Never" and I'm not even sure if it's a legit copy of Windows at this point and that worries me a bit. It does say Windows is activated though, I think it uses a Volume License key, but the store sold the prebuilt as a individual system

Is it possible to update this machine using a bootable USB? If it is possible, how? And to roll it back to a restore point just in case.

I did something similar to a Windows 10 machine that wouldn't update, but Microsoft's Media Creation Tool basically did that for me.

Will this method from howtogeek work? The problem is the "Downoad and Install SP1 Separately" link that direct to Microsoft's site no longer work, does anyone have an alternate link?

Is there a different method I don't know of?

I know it's easier to do a clean install but this machine has different old programs and data still in use, and yes, I keep constant backups using AOMEI because I expect it to fail. I'm just trying to prolong it as much as possible before it gets a replacement.

To sum it up: What method to use to update a possibly not legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit?

What does it say in the properties? Does it has SP1?

I have this old Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit PC that I want to update to the latest version of Windows 7. 

Windows Update doesn't work anymore and it gives a Code 80072EFE error when I try to check for updates.

For all I know it has never been updated since 2011(When this machine was setup) because it says "Updates were installed: Never" and I'm not even sure if it's a legit copy of Windows at this point and that worries me a bit. It does say Windows is activated though, I think it uses a Volume License key, but the store sold the prebuilt as a individual system

Is it possible to update this machine using a bootable USB? If it is possible, how? And to roll it back to a restore point just in case.

I did something similar to a Windows 10 machine that wouldn't update, but Microsoft's Media Creation Tool basically did that for me.

Will this method from howtogeek work? The problem is the "Downoad and Install SP1 Separately" link that direct to Microsoft's site no longer work, does anyone have an alternate link?

I know it's easier to do a clean install but this machine has different old programs and data still in use, and yes, I keep constant backups using AOMEI because I expect it to fail. I'm just trying to prolong it as much as possible before it gets a replacement.

To sum it up: What method to use to update a possibly not legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit?

7 minutes ago, Z_Light said:

Pretty sure this is against forum rules. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

16 minutes ago, Z_Light said:

unlocked
group of mods agreed that this can stay

Edited by GDRRiley
unlocked

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

23 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

I didn't say it has SP1 in the System info under Windows Edition.

It only says,

Windows 7 Ultimate

Sorry for the delayed response. This post got locked for a bit.

1 hour ago, Z_Light said:

I didn't say it has SP1 in the System info under Windows Edition.

It only says,

Windows 7 Ultimate

Sorry for the delayed response. This post got locked for a bit.

First Install Service Pack 1

Link to download (You will probably have to use Internet explorer for this)-https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB976932

And then Install latest Windows update cilent

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3138612

And then install Windows 7 update rollup which will automatically install all updates from 2011-2016

But before that you need to install 2015 SSU:- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/april-2015-servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-437ee749-51e0-6265-be9e-73fbd115d315

And then the rollup itself:- http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x86_ba1ff5537312561795cc04db0b02fbb0a74b2cbd.msu

And then Windows update should start working.

5 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

First Install Service Pack 1

Link to download (You will probably have to use Internet explorer for this)-https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB976932

And then Install latest Windows update cilent

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3138612

And then install Windows 7 update rollup which will automatically install all updates from 2011-2016

But before that you need to install 2015 SSU:- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/april-2015-servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-437ee749-51e0-6265-be9e-73fbd115d315

And then the rollup itself:- http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x86_ba1ff5537312561795cc04db0b02fbb0a74b2cbd.msu

And then Windows update should start working.

Is there a reason why I need to use Internet Explorer specifically?

I'm assuming I only need to download the ones for x86 Windows 7? or will using IE make the choosing process automatic?

Does that mean I need to directly download from all 4 of these links on the machine I want to update using Internet Explorer? I can't download these files on a different machine and copy it over?

1 hour ago, Z_Light said:

Is there a reason why I need to use Internet Explorer specifically?

I'm assuming I only need to download the ones for x86 Windows 7? or will using IE make the choosing process automatic?

Does that mean I need to directly download from all 4 of these links on the machine I want to update using Internet Explorer? I can't download these files on a different machine and copy it over?

You need to use IE because that site uses ActiveX which is not supported by other browsers..

You can just copy and move the files to that pc 

2 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

You need to use IE because that site uses ActiveX which is not supported by other browsers..

You can just copy and move the files to that pc 

That's good. I can download it beforehand. I just have to install Internet Explorer on Windows 10.

The problem is I have to wait a week before actually trying it. I wanted to do it this weekend but plans changed and I have to go somewhere else. 

Just now, Z_Light said:

Is this the same file for the broken link on the howtogeek guide? If so, I can just use their step by step guide?

No, it's a file hosted on TechPowerUp's servers. Just download and run the .exe.

elephants

18 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

No, it's a file hosted on TechPowerUp's servers. Just download and run the .exe.

I was too vague. Let me clarify.

If I run the file you linked to install SP1, I can just follow the steps of the howtogeek guide afterwards to update Windows 7 using Microsoft's Convenience Rollup starting Step Two, right?

The guide I'm referring to: https://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

20 minutes ago, Z_Light said:

I was too vague. Let me clarify.

If I run the file you linked to install SP1, I can just follow the steps of the howtogeek guide afterwards to update Windows 7 using Microsoft's Convenience Rollup starting Step Two, right?

The guide I'm referring to: https://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

Yep, you should be able to. Cracked Windows can be weird though so I can't say for sure.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Yep, you should be able to. Cracked Windows can be weird though so I can't say for sure.

Thanks. Also, after looking into it further, I don't think it's actually cracked Windows. 

Seems like the computer shop that sold this Prebuilt PC in 2011 used Volume Licensing to activate Windows and sold the machine as a standalone unit. So, technically it got activated legitimately, but is no longer connected to the PC that activated the Volume License on it.

I don't know if that will cause any issue.

• 4 months later...
On 8/6/2021 at 7:56 AM, Z_Light said:

Follow the following tutorial in order to update Windows 7 Ultimate manually:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-download-a-windows-update-manually-9f939f2d-c136-8533-cf83-39292c44bffa