MSI Creator 15 - Whiny fan noise normal?

LSVF

Hi everyone,

long-time viewer but I never found my way into the forums before. I hope to find someone who can help me validate my suspicion.

I just got my MSI Creator 15 and am pretty happy with it. I knew it would be noisy and the fans would ramp up under stress. That's totally fine. But the CPU cooler (not the GPU cooler) makes and incredibly annoying whining sound when running at a low RPM (when the computer is idle or doing light work). The faster (and louder) it gets, the less annoying it is, actually. I did not see anything about this in reviews, so I suspect it's not normal but I don't really want to get into the trouble of sending it in, only to find out that's just how bad the fan is on all of these.

This is the fan when the computer is idle and the CPU is at around 50° (in "Silent Mode"):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7bii5ijioyw94j/msi-noise.m4a?dl=0

Is this normal or should I try to get that fixed?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

You could probably get the fan swapped out if you don't like the sound but most laptop fans make a quite whiny sound. Had an old Asus creator laptop that made the same whiny hiss at low rpms and just kept getting more and more annoying as it ramped up. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope I could help!

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Welcome to the forums!

You could probably get the fan swapped out if you don't like the sound but most laptop fans make a quite whiny sound. Had an old Asus creator laptop that made the same whiny hiss at low rpms and just kept getting more and more annoying as it ramped up. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope I could help!

Thanks!

I maybe should have prefaced my question by saying that I'm far from an inexperienced user and have had my fair share of laptops. This might be the worst fan I have ever heard in my life. I'm just wondering if the Creator 15 laptops are really that bad when it comes to the fan noise or if I received a faulty device. I would definitely send it in (or tinker with it) if I hadn't gotten it through work. It will certainly be a lot of hassle. Don't want to come out of it on the other side with the same fan noise and nothing gained.

Just now, LSVF said:

Thanks!

I maybe should have prefaced my question by saying that I'm far from an inexperienced user and have had my fair share of laptops. This might be the worst fan I have ever heard in my life. I'm just wondering if the Creator 15 laptops are really that bad when it comes to the fan noise or if I received a faulty device. I would definitely send it in (or tinker with it) if I hadn't gotten it through work. It will certainly be a lot of hassle. Don't want to come out of it on the other side with the same fan noise and nothing gained.

I don't think it's faulty but if you want you can talk to MSI Support about getting it fixed. Unless it's under warranty and you can do it for cheap though, I wouldn't recommend it, could just be a fluke and you got a bad fan, but I've heard laptop fans that sound like the attached file and that's normal for higher power laptops AFAIK.

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

I don't think it's faulty but if you want you can talk to MSI Support about getting it fixed. Unless it's under warranty and you can do it for cheap though, I wouldn't recommend it, could just be a fluke and you got a bad fan, but I've heard laptop fans that sound like the attached file and that's normal for higher power laptops AFAIK.

Yeah, unless this is covered by the warranty, I won't do anything. The thing is, this is now my primary work computer and the fan noise is driving me nuts. I don't really see myself being able to work this way. Can't wear headphones all day. So I will probably just send it in. Thanks for your input!