Windows Copy Boots to Unusable Command Line

Go to solution Solved by emosun,

why are you not just installing windows the correct way.

windows 10 doesn;t need to work across multiple builds and as such shouldnt be expected to. Theres no reason this method you are attempting is suppose to work.

Hi! I recently copied my version of windows (using Macrium Reflect) from my laptop onto a 1TB hard drive. It's a Acer Spin 3 2-in-1, with an i5, Intel UHD graphics, 8gb RAM, and 256gb of storage. I tried booting it on my sister's old laptop (a 10 year old laptop, w/ and old i5, 6gb ram, Intel Graphics, etc), and it managed to boot up to the log-in screen. So, now, I have a desktop that I've been gifted that has an old i7-980X, 16gb RAM, and an AMD HD 6750. So, this time, I went to boot up that same copy of Windows. However, when I booted up the right HDD, it didn't load. It just showed me a black screen with a blinking cursor, like a command line. However, It doesn't allow me to type anything. Is there something wrong (compatibility wise) with the graphics (and if so, how would I fix that), or is it something else?

Thanks to everyone who helps!

windows 10 doesn;t need to work across multiple builds and as such shouldnt be expected to. Theres no reason this method you are attempting is suppose to work.

20 minutes ago, emosun said:

Oh, OK, thanks. I'm sorry, I didn't know. I'm kind of new to the tech community, so there's a few things I still have to learn. Thank you!

As far as i know, cloning a HDD with macrium reflect works for the same machine. I did that two weeks ago, cloning a HDD for a SSD on the same laptop the HDD+windows was installed. It worked perfectly.

However, for a different machine, with different hardware you are going to run into problems, as you did.

JP

8 hours ago, JP! said:

As far as i know, cloning a HDD with macrium reflect works for the same machine. I did that two weeks ago, cloning a HDD for a SSD on the same laptop the HDD+windows was installed. It worked perfectly.

However, for a different machine, with different hardware you are going to run into problems, as you did.

JP

OK, thanks. I managed to get myself a working version of Windows 10 by copying windows 7 with a hard drive bay I had and booting it up (which works, unlike the windows 10 copy), then upgrading it to windows 10.

Probably because of legacy boot mode or secure boot on BIOS.

Anyway, i agree with emosun and the best way is a clean install, if possible in the future.

JP