How the freaking hell do I give permission to my folder because I am so confused...

cwgzz

I am trying to save my work's VPN profile on a specific folder that I have but it keeps telling me that I don't permission to save in this folder, this folder is saved on my desktop as a shortcut to the OpenVPN config folder. If I save the VPN profile to my desktop first, and then drag and drop into that same folder on my desktop in which I don't have permission, it tells me that I need permission but I can just click "Continue" with the defender's logo on there and lets me put it into that folder. But god freaking forbid that I can't just save it directly to that folder and it is honestly pissing me off, and would like to know how to fix this. Thank you. I have also included some screenshots of what I think I may have done correctly or wrong. 

first.jpg

second.PNG

Chances are your IT department needs to give you permissions to write to the folder.

You can try though - press add > select principal > enter your full windows username > click check names to make sure it's formatted correctly > ok > tick full control > ok > ok > ok and if it let you do that you should have permissions, otherwise you can't change it.

You probably want to be looking at the folder permissions of the destination folder rather than the file you're trying to copy over.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

2 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Chances are your IT department needs to give you permissions to write to the folder.

You can try though - press add > select principal > enter your full windows username > click check names to make sure it's formatted correctly > ok > tick full control > ok > ok > ok and if it let you do that you should have permissions, otherwise you can't change it.

That didn't work but this is my personal computer so I don't understand why I can't change it. Unless I don't understand what you mean by "full windows username" which I think is クリス that shows in the screenshot. But like I said, this is my personal computer... 

1 minute ago, cwgzz said:

That didn't work but this is my personal computer so I don't understand why I can't change it. Unless I don't understand what you mean by "full windows username" which I think is クリス that shows in the screenshot. But like I said, this is my personal computer... 

Do you have an outlook account for windows? If so, it should be that email address.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

Just now, cacoe said:

Do you have an outlook account for windows? If so, it should be that email address.

I don't have any Microsoft account linked to my computer. When I installed Windows, during the setup process, I skipped entering in my wifi details because it would force me to make/sign in to my Microsoft account. To bypass that, I didn't enter my wifi details during the setup process of Windows, because I hate all the skype and all the microsoft apps that keeps popping up and stuff

15 minutes ago, cwgzz said:

I am trying to save my work's VPN profile on a specific folder that I have but it keeps telling me that I don't permission to save in this folder, this folder is saved on my desktop as a shortcut to the OpenVPN config folder. If I save the VPN profile to my desktop first, and then drag and drop into that same folder on my desktop in which I don't have permission, it tells me that I need permission but I can just click "Continue" with the defender's logo on there and lets me put it into that folder. But god freaking forbid that I can't just save it directly to that folder and it is honestly pissing me off, and would like to know how to fix this.

That "folder" on your desktop is a shortcut to a folder in "Program Files", which has its permissions set to prevent programs running in user space from randomly editing other installed programs. To save into the folder, you generally need to be running the saving program as administrator. (Or you can just copy the file in, as you've found out already.)

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | a 10G NIC (pending) | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

If all else fails -

https://winaero.com/add-reset-permissions-context-menu-windows-10/

You could try using this context menu, but if @AbydosOneis correct, I wouldn't advise doing that to Program Files.

1 minute ago, AbydosOne said:

which has its permissions set to prevent programs running in user space from randomly editing other installed programs

Well then please teach me how to grant permission then because I have never had this problem before. 

Well then please teach me how to grant permission then because I have never had this problem before. 

Question is, are you currently running an administrator account?

2 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Yes, maybe, this is my personal computer... how can I check that? 

Just checked, yes I am. 

3 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Capture.PNG

Just now, cwgzz said:

Yes, maybe, this is my personal computer... how can I check that? 

Open Control Panel, and then go to User Accounts > User Accounts

You'll see your username on the right, if it says administrator below it, you have admin rights.

Alternative method is -

Open Settings using Win + I key, and then go to Accounts > Your info and it'll say below your name here.

Just now, cwgzz said:

^^^^ try the reset permissions context menu then, it should just revert to defaults, in which you should already have permission so it should fix it.

Ok what @cacoetold u is probably correct, except it looks to be maybe missing some steps…?

Try this - follow it as good you can, 1 mistake and its not gonna work…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.laptopmag.com/amp/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

Its rather convoluted (because windows) but it works! (with any file/folder)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, cacoe said:

^^^^ try the reset permissions context menu then, it should just revert to defaults, in which you should already have permission so it should fix it.

I am not sure if what I am doing is correct because it didn't work. I downloaded the Add Reset Permissions Context Menu.reg to my desktop, double clicked it, clicked yes, clicked ok, and that's it, but didn't work.

I am not sure if what I am doing is correct because it didn't work. I downloaded the Add Reset Permissions Context Menu.reg to my desktop, double clicked it, clicked yes, clicked ok, and that's it, but didn't work.

That just adds the context menu option, you then right click on the item you want to reset permissions on and select the relevent option. (This may require a restart for the context item to show up) - although what @Mark Kaineposted should definitely work. I thought my explanation was painfully simple, it's just I didn't have a folder without permissions to do a dry run on and haven't had to use these options in a long time.

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I appreciate you guys helping but nothing is working and I am just so lost at this point. I will just give up. Thanks. 

That's normal behavior, you're not supposed to put any documents inside "program files" so an app trying to write to it won't be allowed to unless it's running as admin. If you save somewhere else and move then you can give permission.

OpenVPN profiles have been stored in the OpenVPN folder in your user profile (C:\Users\[you]\OpenVPN\config) for a good while as any user data should.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

OpenVPN profiles have been stored in the OpenVPN folder in your user profile (C:\Users\[you]\OpenVPN\config) for a good while as any user data should.

Is there anyway to move this out of program files then? 

Well yes unless you have an age old OpenVPN version that folder should already have been created automatically and you just put the file there.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2