Laptop for Computer Science Student

Hi, I'm looking for a new laptop as my 2018 Dell G3 is just not enough for my needs. I'm looking for something with:

• 13.3/14 inch screen
  • 8-core CPU
  • Really good battery life (I need it to last a whole day on campus + I will use it a lot while travelling)
  • At least something with RTX 3050 ti or equivalent (preferably 2060/3060)
  • 1TB SSD
  • Min. 16GB RAM

I will use it for programming, more-less casual gaming (I mostly play e-sports titles like Rocket League or League of Legends but I want to be able to play something like Cyberpunk once in a while) and standard web-browsing, watching Netflix etc.
I will set it up with Linux in dual boot.
My budget is not strictly limited, but I don't want to pay more for not necessary upgrades - if there is a much cheaper option that is just a little bit worse then I will lean towards it.
Right now I see 3 options:

• Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 R9-4900HS/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/RTX 2060 Max-Q for 1200$ after converting the currency
  • Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 R7-5800HS/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/RTX 3060 Mobile for 1900$ after conversion
  • Acer Swift X R7-5800U/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/RTX 3050 Ti for around 1100$ after conversion

I am open for other suggestions and advice!

A gaming laptop is not what you will want. You'll see degradation in battery fairly quickly over the first few months of use. Plus generally they're quite a bit heavier and louder.

If you really need a gaming system as well, get a cheaper ultrabook and spend some money on a PC for gaming

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

cheaper ultrabook

or a m1 macbook air. (thats a bit of a pricy one tho)

if you want battery thats the thing to get

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Zephyrus weight 1.6 kg and is reported to have arount 8-10 hours of realistic battery life
Swift is 1.38kg and I don't think it can be called a gaming laptop
PC for gaming and ultrabook for travel is not an option, I spend too much time in different places

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

or a m1 macbook air. (thats a bit of a pricy one tho)

if you want battery thats the thing to get

Big agree. It's what I've been running for comp sci and it's been fantastic.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

9 minutes ago, CSStudentGL said:

Zephyrus weight 1.6 kg and is reported to have arount 8-10 hours of realistic battery life
Swift is 1.38kg and I don't think it can be called a gaming laptop
PC for gaming and ultrabook for travel is not an option, I spend too much time in different places

Realistically all those options aren't a great investment. I would get the cheapest one then and run that until you get out of school