Good PSU won't work but the bad one will?

the thermal take PSU 430W I had in a makeshift server started hissing when it was under load. Hissing is a bad sound for a PSU so I replaced it with a solid gear proton 550W that I had as a spare.

When I switched the old PSU out my AMD am3+ system wouldn't start, only the power LED on the front of the case will turn on. I have tried unplugging everything but the CPU fan and removed all PCI cards so there was only the MOB, RAM, and CPU to power but the system sill wouldn't power up. I took the solid gear PSU and plugged it in to my to much newer AMD Ryzen system and it powered right up. I then took the thermal take PSU and plugged it into the old system and the thing powered right up.

On the old system I took out every card, unplugged every drive and fan, reseated both the ram and CPU, and tried each stick of RAM separately but the my fm2+ system wouldn't turn even try to turn on with the solid gear PSU.

I have no clue what's going on!

PSUs-

thermal take TR2 430W

Solidgear Proton 550W

MOB- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

CPU- AMD FX-8320E

The problem is that you got a Solid gear PSU. I made that mistake once and fried a system even though it was brand new out of the box. There is a list on this site of reputable brands.

1 minute ago, CWALD said:

The problem is that you got a Solid gear PSU. I made that mistake once and fried a system even though it was brand new out of the box. There is a list on this site of reputable brands.

Found it!

6 minutes ago, CWALD said:

probably right. But this guy has been used in other system for a couple years and it worked good.

That link had the solid gear neutron but I didn't the proton.

But was would the solid gear work in the beast with new ryzen cpu, video card, and a bunch of led fans but not the gigabyte?

13 minutes ago, Ambrose_A said:

probably right. But this guy has been used in other system for a couple years and it worked good.

That link had the solid gear neutron but I didn't the proton.

But was would the solid gear work in the beast with new ryzen cpu, video card, and a bunch of led fans but not the gigabyte?

Missed the bit where it was working in another system. Are you using any different connecters between the two systems? If you live in an area with a free geek, they only charge $5-10 for a PSU and they will let you test it right there.

4 minutes ago, CWALD said:

Missed the bit where it was working in another system. Are you using any different connecters between the two systems? If you live in an area with a free geek, they only charge $5-10 for a PSU and they will let you test it right there.

same connections (non modular) and same power cord for both systems and PSUs

4 minutes ago, Ambrose_A said:

same connections (non modular) and same power cord for both systems and PSUs

I have no idea then but I would still be suspicious of that PSU. If you have a way to get a cheap PSU for testing that is not ranked terrible then I would pick one up for testing

Got a new PSU and even though I could install freenas from usb on a drive I still can't get passed Verifying DMI Pool Data. Could the bad PSU have taken out something on the MOB?

The PSU that I'm using is a know good one from Corsair. I'm guessing that I'm SOL with this one.