NAS Creation

test019

Well as the name says I am planning to build a NAS, I have some idea but never dealt with one.

PURPOSE

1. -Storage Unit
  2. -Media Encoder
    1. Encoding/Rendering
    2. Pass through/Record Capture NAS?
  3. -Game Server
  4. -Home automation

1 - I heard of someone that, when you need more than 4 HDD you should get a NAS, well I'm running 3HDD+2SSD+1NVME and well sata ports are not an issue since I have an old x99 around (with 12 sata) that I plan to use as NAS but, the case itself or psu won't have even half the cables for them.

2 - Well here is a nice extra, I do edit and will be lovely that I can render videos, images and other material on the NAS. I do NOT run premiere, neither I plan to, so I have no idea if I can run things in a NAS or how to. DavResolve, Ilustrator and InDesign or others will be nice to have.

*Ideally, I will stick a capture card on that pc and use it as a stream pc while being a NAS. Is this even possible?

3 - As the title says

4 - I'm starting to automate things in my house in a 'hardware' fashion since 5 years ago, but running a IFTTT or a Home Assistant in my own control, that would be 10/10

OS

I have heard and follow some of Linus videos but, tbh it's never clear to me a real use. They had Synology, and they showed the Storage capabilities, they build a media transcode server, and it transcodes, even they got a super minecraft server that well, runs minecraft. Linus server does it all, but is shown by a glance or totally censored, which I understand. *I also understand that a NAS has more uses at the same time, and many programs or apps to use, but it's a little unclear how to press 'on' and have all that on your control. (Without just run a VM or have a second PC)

• FreeNas
  • Xpenology
  • Proxnox

PARTS

I have some spare parts from my old pc that ideally will fit this project, but someone with more expertise will tell if It's to overkill.

x99 sabertooth

16gb ram dd4

980ti

BUDGET

Actually 0, maximum 200? Mainly for more HDD.

*I can't afford to get over RAID 0 or RAID 1, (if I'm correct RAID 0 means every mb is not lost in a hdd but in a failure you lose everything, and RAID 1 is on the same drive so a failure in certain area or in that drive will make you lose all data too), in my dreams I would go RAID 3 or 5 and be way more than happy with 20tb. But in real world, 5tb in RAID 0 or 1 will be more than happy for me.

Any help will be amazing :)

41 minutes ago, test019 said:

f I'm correct RAID 0 means every mb is not lost in a hdd but in a failure you lose everything, and RAID 1 is on the same drive so a failure in certain area or in that drive will make you lose all data too

Nope.

Both of these RAID levels need at least 2 disks. 

RAID 0 offers no redundancy for drive failure. If a disk fails your fucked. 

RAID 1 Mirrors data on both drives. Write performance isn't great but you can read data off both disks so you get a bit read performance boost. 

Should mention that RAID has kinda fallen out of favor. Proxmox and FreeNAS I believe both use the ZFS file system. I can tell you from the research I have done, ZFS is expensive to deal with in terms of size and number of disks required to do it properly. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

43 minutes ago, test019 said:

1 - I heard of someone that, when you need more than 4 HDD you should get a NAS, well I'm running 3HDD+2SSD+1NVME and well sata ports are not an issue since I have an old x99 around (with 12 sata) that I plan to use as NAS but, the case itself or psu won't have even half the cables for them.

Do other users need to use the data? Thats when a nas makes a lot of sense for me. If your hdds fit in internally, you can keep using it that way.

43 minutes ago, test019 said:

- Well here is a nice extra, I do edit and will be lovely that I can render videos, images and other material on the NAS. I do NOT run premiere, neither I plan to, so I have no idea if I can run things in a NAS or how to. DavResolve, Ilustrator and InDesign or others will be nice to have.

*Ideally, I will stick a capture card on that pc and use it as a stream pc while being a NAS. Is this even possible?

What types of videos do you want to encode? 

45 minutes ago, test019 said:

OS

I have heard and follow some of Linus videos but, tbh it's never clear to me a real use. They had Synology, and they showed the Storage capabilities, they build a media transcode server, and it transcodes, even they got a super minecraft server that well, runs minecraft. Linus server does it all, but is shown by a glance or totally censored, which I understand. *I also understand that a NAS has more uses at the same time, and many programs or apps to use, but it's a little unclear how to press 'on' and have all that on your control. (Without just run a VM or have a second PC)

Id probably go unraid here. Easy to use and expand if needed

47 minutes ago, test019 said:

PARTS

I have some spare parts from my old pc that ideally will fit this project, but someone with more expertise will tell if It's to overkill.

x99 sabertooth

16gb ram dd4

980ti

Do you still need case + cpu + psu + drives. Probably wont fit in the budget.

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Nope.

Both of these RAID levels need at least 2 disks. 

RAID 0 offers no redundancy for drive failure. If a disk fails your fucked. 

RAID 1 Mirrors data on both drives. Write performance isn't great but you can read data off both disks so you get a bit read performance boost. 

Should mention that RAID has kinda fallen out of favor. Proxmox and FreeNAS I believe both use the ZFS file system. I can tell you from the research I have done, ZFS is expensive to deal with in terms of size and number of disks required to do it properly. 

Do they need to be same hdd? or that is just ideal conditions?

I was really thinking of going FreeNAS since I think it supports all my purposes (?) but does the ZFS work in a similar way as RAID?

14 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do other users need to use the data? Thats when a nas makes a lot of sense for me. If your hdds fit in internally, you can keep using it that way.

What types of videos do you want to encode? 

Id probably go unraid here. Easy to use and expand if needed

Do you still need case + cpu + psu + drives. Probably wont fit in the budget.

Only me, for now. But I might want to access it from different locations, and I reached almost my max that I can in my pc, anything more will be overflow that's why starting the NAS sooner than when it's way too complicated. Videos of color correction, ending in YT mostly.

UNRAID? I've heard is subscription and certain actions will not be suitable.

Btw I do not need the case or cpu psu of my old one, the drive is actually full, but I could empty it, and get 1 drive for having 2 disks.

27 minutes ago, test019 said:

Do they need to be same hdd? or that is just ideal conditions?

I was really thinking of going FreeNAS since I think it supports all my purposes (?) but does the ZFS work in a similar way as RAID?

What drive config do you have? 

Normally having the same capacity of drive makes raid setups much easier

28 minutes ago, test019 said:

Only me, for now. But I might want to access it from different locations, and I reached almost my max that I can in my pc, anything more will be overflow that's why starting the NAS sooner than when it's way too complicated. Videos of color correction, ending in YT mostly.

You don't seem to need too many tb of storage, Id just add a 16 or 18tb drive to your desktop for now

28 minutes ago, test019 said:

UNRAID? I've heard is subscription and certain actions will not be suitable.

Its a one time cost, and should work very well here as its:

-super easier to expand

-allows mixed drive config

-very easy to install and use

11 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What drive config do you have? 

Normally having the same capacity of drive makes raid setups much easier

You don't seem to need too many tb of storage, Id just add a 16 or 18tb drive to your desktop for now

Its a one time cost, and should work very well here as its:

-super easier to expand

-allows mixed drive config

-very easy to install and use

I think the one on the old one is Seagate 1Tb and I have a WD 2TB 5200rpm

Issue is that 16 or 18tb are usually low speed or really expensive, I actually have an Octane card but never figured how to use it properly, and sits here in the desk since it causes so much trouble and is discontinued, so perhaps I will sell it.

The things that you mention are good, but depends on the cost and isn't the freeNAS with same capabilities?

Edit. Should I save to buy a Synology, or just try to build my own with my parts? I lack the drives anyway.

Edited by test019
Add info

4 minutes ago, test019 said:

Issue is that 16 or 18tb are usually low speed or really expensive, I actually have an Octane card but never figured how to use it properly, and sits here in the desk since it causes so much trouble and is discontinued, so perhaps I will sell it.

Normally bigger hdds are faster, so 5400rpm 16tb drives should be easily over 200mB/s, much faster than a gigabit nas would be.

Id do this over a nas personally.

5 minutes ago, test019 said:

The things that you mention are good, but depends on the cost and isn't the freeNAS with same capabilities?

Freenas doesn't allow the same drive mixing capabilities, and wants drives to be all the same size, and isn't as esay to expand later on storage wise.

Id just get a big hdd for your desktop here. You don't seem to need a lot of storage here, aand don't need to access it from other locations now(you can always setup a file share in windows too)

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Normally bigger hdds are faster, so 5400rpm 16tb drives should be easily over 200mB/s, much faster than a gigabit nas would be.

Id do this over a nas personally.

Freenas doesn't allow the same drive mixing capabilities, and wants drives to be all the same size, and isn't as esay to expand later on storage wise.

Id just get a big hdd for your desktop here. You don't seem to need a lot of storage here, aand don't need to access it from other locations now(you can always setup a file share in windows too)

That is actually really helpful.

So perhaps a second pc with a capture card, with a bigger HDD like you mention with 16tb and windows share will do the best for me?

Running a game server in windows is not a big deal to set up and rendering will be a matter of transferring the file from one pc to the other, actually with the capture card I might not even need that. Home automation I've read that can run on Windows too, but no idea of something like IFTTT to run in win.

Does this sound bad?

3 minutes ago, test019 said:

That is actually really helpful.

So perhaps a second pc with a capture card, with a bigger HDD like you mention with 16tb and windows share will do the best for me?

Running a game server in windows is not a big deal to set up and rendering will be a matter of transferring the file from one pc to the other, actually with the capture card I might not even need that. Home automation I've read that can run on Windows too, but no idea of something like IFTTT to run in win.

Does this sound bad?

Yea thats sounds like a good idea.

Id be tempted to just put this all in one pc if it was me.

You can also easily fire up vms with hyper-v running linux or other windows installs for programs that need linux.