I couldn't turn off my computer during a sudden thunderstorm and now it doesn't turn on anymore.

Deses

So yeah. I'm so sad right now... 

I couldn't turn off theycomputer because I was rendering something and I was just hoping that the lights would not go off, but of course they went out, just for a brief second, and now the computer doesn't boot. 

When I press the button the computer tries to boot for a second only to turn off again. 

CPU cooler led turn on, gpu led turn on too, fans try to spin and a DRAM led blinks before turning off.

I already tried using one ram stick and swapping them but nothing changed. I also tried clearing the bios. 

Doesn't look like a PSU faulty, more like a motherboard issue to me. What do you think? 

Motherboard is an Asus Strix B550-F gaming. 

PSU is a Corsair RM850. 

My first step in that situation would be the normal PSU test with it disconnected from the PC entirely. That little blip you're getting isn't enough to say for certain that its fine. I would want to see it power on and stay on.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

Take note of the.. well "note" they have about that test.

image.png.740b57a3838881b8e7c32a834fffaaa9.png

23 minutes ago, Deses said:

thunderstorm 

Well,As matter of fact thunderstorms kill PCs,

Lightning hitting a powerline that goes to your house will cause a surge which can kill electronics,

Your PC is probably dead.

Usually in such cases the motherboard and CPU die,but any component can die from a surge.

RIP

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Seems like a PSU issue to me.

But first you could try unplugging from wall, holding power button for 30 sec to drain residual power, remove CMOS battery, then plug in and try to turn on again. If same issue, then borrow or buy a known good power supply, unplug all the old PSU connectors from your board/drives/etc, plug in the cabling from the new PSU (outside of case) and test.

41 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Take note of the.. well "note" they have about that test.

image.png.740b57a3838881b8e7c32a834fffaaa9.png

Thank you for this, I just tried this and the PSU fan baaaaarely spins, not even a full rotation. I think the PSU is toast. 

Do you know if newer Corsair PSU have the same pinout? Although I suppose that changing all the cables is the safer approach. 

Update: it was the PSU, replaced it and everything is fine, and the best thing of all is that the insurance paid for it.