New to videography, kind of jumped in without knowing what I am doing....

Hey all,

So last year I picked up a Sony A6100 mostly for doing VR mixed reality videos as a step up over my webcam and it has been great for that. I have become more interested in both photography and videography lately and a friend of mine mentioned they wanted some better footage of their band (better vs the random portrait cell phone videos they had currently) so it seemed like a good opportunity to learn and help my friend out. Picked up the Ronin SC and the Sony ECMXYST1M mic. Using the kit 16-50mm lens but the Sigma 16mm is next on my list.

This was a video I recently recorded for them - 

(not sure why he only uploaded it in 1080 as it was recorded in 4k).

There are definitely a few times where I was using the joystick to move and went the wrong direction (I have had a few more chances using it since then and got more used to the controls). Tried getting a mix of the crowd and the band. The mic seemed to do ok but it does seem to be lacking in the low end (it does only go down to 70hz before the response really drops off though). Might also look at an external battery I can mount to the gimbal because the little sony batteries are terrible and I hate having to rebalance the gimbal when i need to swap the battery. All of the settings were left on Auto as I was just trying to learn/get used to everything out of the box before making it more complicated haha. 

Just looking for tips/tricks/suggestions/resources for getting started and trying to learn as much as I can really.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Blindsay said:

Hey all,

So last year I picked up a Sony A6100 mostly for doing VR mixed reality videos as a step up over my webcam and it has been great for that. I have become more interested in both photography and videography lately and a friend of mine mentioned they wanted some better footage of their band (better vs the random portrait cell phone videos they had currently) so it seemed like a good opportunity to learn and help my friend out. Picked up the Ronin SC and the Sony ECMXYST1M mic. Using the kit 16-50mm lens but the Sigma 16mm is next on my list.

This was a video I recently recorded for them - 

(not sure why he only uploaded it in 1080 as it was recorded in 4k).

There are definitely a few times where I was using the joystick to move and went the wrong direction (I have had a few more chances using it since then and got more used to the controls). Tried getting a mix of the crowd and the band. The mic seemed to do ok but it does seem to be lacking in the low end (it does only go down to 70hz before the response really drops off though). Might also look at an external battery I can mount to the gimbal because the little sony batteries are terrible and I hate having to rebalance the gimbal when i need to swap the battery. All of the settings were left on Auto as I was just trying to learn/get used to everything out of the box before making it more complicated haha. 

Just looking for tips/tricks/suggestions/resources for getting started and trying to learn as much as I can really.

Thanks!

I never shoot in auto for anything, and thats a great way to learn.

I would recommend doing some online courses.

The main settings you need to know are ISO, shutter speed, aputure, white balance (and frame rate if shooting video).