New Home Network System

LoganW

Hello!

I am doing a home rennovation which is allowing me the opportunity to add ethernet drops and wireless access points throughout my house. I'm looking to see if I'm misunderstanding anything or if there are better products for my needs. I have not purchased anything for this project yet, but have included some links below.

• 2 WAPs means a wired router without WIFI is fine
  • The switch has 16 ports, so 1 going to the modem leaves 15 to be used on the patch panel
  • A 24 port patch panel so that if I wanted to expand or maybe add speakers I could do so

Modem (ET2251 from Spectrum)

|

Wired Router (TP-Link TL-R605)

|

Network Switch (Netgear GS316)

|

Patch panel (24 ports)

|            |

2 WAP  12 Drops

https://www.newegg.com/netgear-gs316-100nas-16-x-rj45/p/N82E16833122822

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b0e6-002w-006w7

the basic concept is there. I did this in my house with a 24 patch and a 48 port switch. 

24 ports for rack equipment
24 ports for 24 patchs from my rack to my wall,

from my wall to my attic,

from my attic to where ever in the house. 

biggest thing is get a router that doesn't suck. maybe one that supports Duel ISPs, or Link redundancy to your switch for more throughput, since your switch and router are only 1Gbps. 

I understand you're doing this on a budget though. 
I hope you're good at terminating RJ45s. 
I went shielded Cat6A and the keystones were a bitch. the RJ45s weren't bad at all. 
unless you're going to go 10Gbps in the future i'd suggest only going Cat5. much easier to terminate and you can pull more in a smaller space due to diameter. 

sources:
I work with structured cabling guys regularly. 
I did all of this in my own home. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

13 hours ago, VioDuskar said:

the basic concept is there. I did this in my house with a 24 patch and a 48 port switch. 

24 ports for rack equipment
24 ports for 24 patchs from my rack to my wall,

from my wall to my attic,

from my attic to where ever in the house. 

biggest thing is get a router that doesn't suck. maybe one that supports Duel ISPs, or Link redundancy to your switch for more throughput, since your switch and router are only 1Gbps. 

I understand you're doing this on a budget though. 
I hope you're good at terminating RJ45s. 
I went shielded Cat6A and the keystones were a bitch. the RJ45s weren't bad at all. 
unless you're going to go 10Gbps in the future i'd suggest only going Cat5. much easier to terminate and you can pull more in a smaller space due to diameter. 

sources:
I work with structured cabling guys regularly. 
I did all of this in my own home. 

I can go closer to $250 - $300 total for the router and switch but was unsure if I needed to.

If you were working with this budget, which router / switch would you recommend?  My area's max internet is 400Mbps, but I'm at the 200Mbps rate at the moment.

Asus Merlin is a great firmware that works on Asus routers. I'd buy whichever I could afford in their supported list. but that's personal preference. 

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

any dumb unmanaged switch is fine. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones.