How I Took a 2.5GHZ 4690T to over 3.7GHZ using BCLK 2021

So today was instresting. i saw a old thread here about OC'ed Non K 4th gens. I decided to have a go at it.
Board: Z97 Pro Wifi AC (asus) 
CPU: 4690T 45 watt TDP Upto 3.5GHZ Turbo Single Core
PSU: RM1000 (for absalout power delivery ability) 
BCLK 106.5 
RAM: 24GB & 1704MHZ CL9 across 4 dimms (Gskill 1300MHZ&1600MHZ )
NO GPU (using Integrated Hd4600) 
i was able to take my 4690T to over 3.7 (nearly 3.8GHZ) all core using a locked 35x and 106.5 BCLK  with absaloutly no issues, 
i let the Motherboard and bios auto all the voltages, and pull in a 915 intel UTX score, and 4500+ r23 . and ran 24 consecutive H ove P95 on blend!. 
anyone on a serious budget. wanting a cheap set up. older intel non K systems with a good board may be the way to go 
image_2021-07-28_222902.png.5abd2a5cb17c688e73fe7cf4715b1eb5.png
2021-07-28.png.c226f8b918cf2ee80df4719e038e6bbc.png

no hard sience here, just a guy with some time and a few old systems laying around

That frequency would get you a 1st place submission at hwbot. Nice job. 🙂

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

That frequency would get you a 1st place submission at hwbot. Nice job. 🙂

I had not even thought about looking! im going to check that out now! thanks man!

I did similar with a 4th gen i5 4690.

Here is my original post.

Really was enjoying 4c4t at Highclocks (vs the generations release lineup under the i7s let alone i5s)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I did similar with a 4th gen i5 4690.

Here is my original post.

Really was enjoying 4c4t at Highclocks (vs the generations release lineup under the i7s let alone i5s)

exactly the post i was reffuring to! if it wasnt for the 35x id be close! was nice to see im not the only one who plays with non K, i managed 107BCLK but it was unstable and locked up alot. 
i have a copper IHS coming in and a delid tool, so i might be able to squeeze a little more, not sure if its the mobo thats running into the infamous BCLK clock wall for this generation. or the cpu thats just not a well binned unit and i have one of my cores with a 5c delta diffrence from all the others, and its not cooler pressure, tested 2 towers and one aio cooler.  so im hopeing some LM thermal grease from Kryo and a copper IHS with some proper Lapping and i should be good, its all relitivly easy to do, and cheap. anyone who has free time should definatly play around on older hardware like this

2 minutes ago, HerRooJay said:

exactly the post i was reffuring to! if it wasnt for the 35x id be close! was nice to see im not the only one who plays with non K, i managed 107BCLK but it was unstable and locked up alot. 
i have a copper IHS coming in and a delid tool, so i might be able to squeeze a little more, not sure if its the mobo thats running into the infamous BCLK clock wall for this generation. or the cpu thats just not a well binned unit and i have one of my cores with a 5c delta diffrence from all the others, and its not cooler pressure, tested 2 towers and one aio cooler.  so im hopeing some LM thermal grease from Kryo and a copper IHS with some proper Lapping and i should be good, its all relitivly easy to do, and cheap. anyone who has free time should definatly play around on older hardware like this

What is bclk connected to that makes it unstable if you clock it too high anyways?

Maybe do something like a turbo pll which basically allows you to raise the freq of your cpu but disconnect the bclk for other stuff like usb, pcie, etc and have it handled by an external clock generator

You might even benifit from swapping the crystal on your mobo pll to a faster one for higher bclk

I dont really know much about this thing but im pretty sure it involves alot of hackery and screwing around with desoldering and soldering components to your board + having to look at the pll pinouts to check which ones youll have to disconnect

k

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

59 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What is bclk connected to that makes it unstable if you clock it too high anyways?

Maybe do something like a turbo pll which basically allows you to raise the freq of your cpu but disconnect the bclk for other stuff like usb, pcie, etc and have it handled by an external clock generator

You might even benifit from swapping the crystal on your mobo pll to a faster one for higher bclk

I dont really know much about this thing but im pretty sure it involves alot of hackery and screwing around with desoldering and soldering components to your board + having to look at the pll pinouts to check which ones youll have to disconnect

if im not mistakeb BCKL is the base clock speed the chip set runs at, and if you increase it, it speeds up everything attached to it, and i think from what i understand for z97 boards 107MHZ bclk is about the limit for most. any higher and the chipset freaks out and boot loops for a while till it detects the failure in oc and resets the bios. 
so most boards (z97) 106-106.9 is the sweet spot.
allows you to oc non K cpus, and even helps push K's even further when doing ratio + bclk tuning. 

but if im not mistaken the z170 was the final generation to allow it on some boards in early release. Linus made a video. pretty neet.

1 hour ago, HerRooJay said:

if you increase it, it speeds up everything attached to it

Turbo pll you have to detach everything that destabilises when oced like pcie, usb, etc via attatching those to an external clock generator

That way you can raise bclk abit more, though you may need to swap the crystal on the board for a faster one if you are having trouble getting high bclks

Such a nice CPU when doing Office tasks, the basics, it's great with an SSD especially. Indie/Esport titles with 60FPS cap, plenty of life left for certain tasks.

For the lols (years ago)

I also installed Intel XTU for my i5 4690 HD4600 iGPU Overvolting/Overclocking and got the 1200-1250Mhz (Can't remember exactly) to around 1600-1650Mhz maybe..
Was just a test for BF4 MP with Quicksync REC internally at the same time I believe..and some other games like Farcry 3 and Sniper Elite 3.
I was about to move onto a new build so I figured I'd just have a look how it did.

^2133Mhz DDR3

Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5ofzFlQXfuGY5pwsXIsONCRNHyIMmG_J

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

6 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Such a nice CPU when doing Office tasks, the basics, it's great with an SSD especially. Indie/Esport titles with 60FPS cap, plenty of life left for certain tasks.

For the lols (years ago)

I also installed Intel XTU for my i5 4690 HD4600 iGPU Overvolting/Overclocking and got the 1200-1250Mhz (Can't remember exactly) to around 1600-1650Mhz maybe..
Was just a test for BF4 MP with Quicksync REC internally at the same time I believe..and some other games like Farcry 3 and Sniper Elite 3.
I was about to move onto a new build so I figured I'd just have a look how it did.

^2133Mhz DDR3

Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5ofzFlQXfuGY5pwsXIsONCRNHyIMmG_J

im able to play Need for speed titles (older ones, FC,FC1 and FC2&3, at above 30 fps) . mine doesnt seem to want to clock higher then 1444MHZ on my Hd4600, mind me asking what voltage you used for the Graphics OC. and the 4th, 3rd and even 2nd Gen K systems are still plenty today for basic office use, with a SSD, something like a dirt cheap 1030 or 710 or other used GPU you have a great starting rig, and for cheap aswell.