Windows on M1 Mac?

theereal
15 minutes ago, igormp said:

It does, even though it's dynamic.

It does or doesn't reserve... every process is dynamically using the RAM, obviously.

My point is that you don't need to allocate 4GB of RAM, say, for Linux, and that 4GB is locked out, until the VM is terminated.

WSL is super lightweight, as it only carries the core needs, and what you install/need, and the RAM usage is completely dynamically consumed, as if you are running a program. You don't need to allocate more than needed to ensure the system boots properly or operates properly.

If you wanna insist on that, I can look into MS' official docs for that.

I have. Did you?

OP NEEDS to have a Mac anyway, so instead of having 2 laptops, why not just got for a single M1 Mac?

He does for iOS development. True. I missed that. Updated my post above

M1 Mac doesn't allow Windows.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

He does for iOS development. True. I missed that.

M1 Mac doesn't allow Windows.

Yes, that's why some people even suggested an Intel Mac, which is not really worth it anymore.

So, instead of having 2 laptops, I was recommending they to just go with a single M1, which seems to be able to handle all of their needs from what was posted already (there doesn't seem to be anything that requires an specific OS other than iOS dev).

I really do recommend you to read over the thread before coming back trying to discuss windows vs linux with me, that's not the matter at hand (I didn't even suggest linux in this thread, fwiw).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

• 4 weeks later...

If you sign in as a Windows Insider, you can download Windows on ARM Beta, with Parallels, you can use Windows on M1, I also did it, but the experiece of using it, is terrible, almost nothing works...