Format stopped halfway through, need help

Aaralli

I was trying to format an SSD in my PC last night, and I didn't realize that the quick format option wasn't checked. It was taking a lot longer than expected, so I cancelled it halfway through (after two hours or so). Now, I can't create or remove partitions, format the drive again, or even access it. It is still visible to my computer though, so at least for now I don't think I killed it. What do I do? 

I don't know if this matters but the SSD is the Adata SU655 960GB and my motherboard is an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon...

Open command prompt as an administrator and enter the commands below exactly as they show up

>diskpart

>list disk

>select disk #

*replace # with the number of your SSD as shown in the disk table

>clean

>exit

>exit

Go back into Windows disk manager/Create and manage hard disk partitions and initialize the disk, then do a quick format. Should take care of it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Aaralli said:

I was trying to format an SSD in my PC last night, and I didn't realize that the quick format option wasn't checked. It was taking a lot longer than expected, so I cancelled it halfway through (after two hours or so). Now, I can't create or remove partitions, format the drive again, or even access it. It is still visible to my computer though, so at least for now I don't think I killed it. What do I do? 

I don't know if this matters but the SSD is the Adata SU655 960GB and my motherboard is an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon...

That one was bad on HDDs.  You had to use an OS with more power than windows, go in, and rebuild things.  Never had to do it on an SSD. SSDs will be different though most likely. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 2:28 PM, aisle9 said:

Open command prompt as an administrator and enter the commands below exactly as they show up

>diskpart

>list disk

>select disk #

*replace # with the number of your SSD as shown in the disk table

>clean

>exit

>exit

Go back into Windows disk manager/Create and manage hard disk partitions and initialize the disk, then do a quick format. Should take care of it.

So I didn't try this until today because I've been so busy with work. Diskpart spit out an error saying "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

Checking Event Viewer, the errors there say several things, such as:

"the volume does not contain a recognized file system"

"the I/I operation at logical block address 0x300 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\0000004d) was retried"

And "cannot zero sectors on disk \\?\PhysicalDrive0. Error code: 45D@0101000F

In Disk Management it said the file system was "raw" before using Diskpart, and now it won't show up at all. Any advice?

1 hour ago, Aaralli said:

So I didn't try this until today because I've been so busy with work. Diskpart spit out an error saying "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

Checking Event Viewer, the errors there say several things, such as:

"the volume does not contain a recognized file system"

"the I/I operation at logical block address 0x300 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\0000004d) was retried"

And "cannot zero sectors on disk \\?\PhysicalDrive0. Error code: 45D@0101000F

In Disk Management it said the file system was "raw" before using Diskpart, and now it won't show up at all. Any advice?

Return the SSD.

11 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Return the SSD.

Definitely the preferred option if possible. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:30 PM, aisle9 said:

Return the SSD.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:42 PM, Bombastinator said:

Definitely the preferred option if possible. 

I bought a new SSD (different model) to try, and it also wouldn't work. It showed up to initialize but failed. Then I had an idea... I switched the SATA port from SATA 1 to SATA 2 and VOILA!!! the new SSD worked! So I'm going to try the old one tomorrow and see if it was just the port. Somehow, I think I may have broken my SATA port, but not to the point where it was TOTALLY nonfunctional. 

11 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

I bought a new SSD (different model) to try, and it also wouldn't work. It showed up to initialize but failed. Then I had an idea... I switched the SATA port from SATA 1 to SATA 2 and VOILA!!! the new SSD worked! So I'm going to try the old one tomorrow and see if it was just the port. Somehow, I think I may have broken my SATA port, but not to the point where it was TOTALLY nonfunctional. 

Do you have any m.2s or Pcie cards other than #1 installed? My understanding was only m.2cards would turn off sata ports but I heard recently a guy had a board that shut off some sata ports if a pcie card was installed in a particular slot.  A shut down port wouldn’t even start a drive though.  Not make it shutdown halfway through. Power loss wouldn’t be a data port thing it would be a power thing most commonly. Would require a highly unusual connector failure. I don’t know enough about sata pin outs to know anything about the particulars of how that might or might not happen though. 

Edited by Bombastinator

43 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Do you have any m.2s or Pcie cards other than #1 installed? My understanding was only m.2cards would turn off sata ports but I heard recently a guy had a board that shut off some sata ports if a pcie card was installed in a particular slot.  A shut down port wouldn’t even start a drive though.  Not make it shutdown halfway through. Power loss wouldn’t be a data port thing it would be a power thing most commonly. Would require a highly unusual connector failure. I don’t know enough about sata pin outs to know anything about the particulars of how that might or might not happen though. 

My second M.2 slot shuts down SATA ports 5 and 6, but I'm not using that M.2 or those SATA ports.

4 hours ago, Aaralli said:

My second M.2 slot shuts down SATA ports 5 and 6, but I'm not using that M.2 or those SATA ports.

How long have you had the board? Track down some documentation online. If a SATA port has gone bad, odds are other things are going bad as well, and you may want to exchange or RMA it.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:32 AM, aisle9 said:

How long have you had the board? Track down some documentation online. If a SATA port has gone bad, odds are other things are going bad as well, and you may want to exchange or RMA it.

I've had the board since May of 2019, I think.

26 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

I've had the board since May of 2019, I think.

Check the warranty if you bought it new. Might still be within RMA.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:01 PM, aisle9 said:

Check the warranty if you bought it new. Might still be within RMA.

I'm out of warranty, unfortunately. I tested the old drive on a different PC I built a few months ago, and it works fine. It's now back in my system on a different SATA slot. I don't know why what happened happened, but if anyone knows someone who can explain this I'd love to get their take