Current/TDP Throttling on 11700k

Ok I have my 11700k running 5.3 and 5.0 all core with 1.43 vcore. The turbo behavior is really weird. It will go up to the specified all core turbo but never higher even on intensive single core applications like cinebench. So what this looks like is even though single core is set to 5.3 I have been unable to get to actually turbo that high. What might be related is that Current/EDP Limit Throttling is active almost all the time even when close to idle like writing this post for instance. All the Turbo power max and Core ICCMAX are all set to max and the package TDP is only like 35-40 when the throttling starts. What is going on? Is this why I am unable to reach max single core frequency. I am new to hardware and OC generally and would appreciate any insight

xtu.PNG

What motherboard and cooler are you using? 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Hey I am using the MSI z590 pro so the cheapest MSI z590 offering. I have a noctua NH-D-15. The cooler seems to be doing good with it only reaching 80 in cinebench with all core 5ghz. I guess I should also mention that the stock XMP profile is unstable and will not post when enabled. So I am using XMP 2 which is why the reference clock is increased from standard

5 hours ago, Sequidle said:

Current/EDP Limit Throttling is active almost all the time

Sometimes if Power Limit 4 is not set correctly by the BIOS, this can cause EDP throttling. It does not look like Intel XTU gives you access to this setting. Exit Intel XTU and try running ThrottleStop.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Click on the TPL button and have a look at the Miscellaneous settings. My Asus board sets Power Limit 4 to 0 which tells the CPU to ignore this limit. If setting this to 0 does not work, try setting Power Limit 4 to the maximum value, 1023.

image.png.1a11b96be95d90df8347aa5c5cd485cd.png

Have a look in the FIVR window and make sure the core and cache IccMax values are both set to their maximum value, 255.75.

After making these changes, open up the Limit Reasons window and see if EDP OTHER is lighting up in red. Exit HWiNFO so it does not interfere with Limit Reasons. Post lots of screenshots if you figure anything out. It is not unusual for new boards to have some issues like this. Make sure you are running the latest BIOS since this problem might have already been fixed. 

@Sequidle  this is what @unclewebb had me do with my i7 9700f and it fixed all the issues I was having. My cpu was hitting 100% usage all the time and making my pc run terrible. After changing this stuff my system has been great

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

I never ever saw mt 10900k hit 5.3 even with making 2 core, 3 core, or 4 core active turbo to 53.

Had to make it 5 core active turbo to 53 to ever see it in real life.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

10 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Had to make it 5 core

I was just playing with this setting today. I used the Cinebench R20 single thread test. With my 10850K set to the 53 multiplier with up to 4 cores active, the most active core was using the full 53 multiplier about 98% of the time. If you have a lot of background tasks, it would be best to bump that up.

image.png.29b11a2e1156188acb5d9bad489679fb.png

The problem in this thread is too much EDP throttling. The CPU will never run at its full rated speed when it has an EDP throttling problem. 

Hey a huge thank you to everyone who responded! Especially UncleWebb! After updating my bios to the most recent one (which included a microcode update i think) everything is running perfectly! Turbo is turboing to max and XMP profiles are stable.... I was honestly just afraid of bricking my mobo. I have never owned a PC before this one you see. Anyways this was literally all resolved with the latest bios from MSI... Thanks again for all the advice!

Well I lied I still have current throttling issue but it is a little bit better and it only appears under the "GPU" column in throttlestop. At this point I should mention that I have no discreet GPU in this build and have been running everything off the iGPU. The throttle only appears when using the iGPU for instance when a video is running in the background. My turbo behavior is still totally normal. Thought id just post an update here because the problem isnt totally gone just different

throttle.PNG

6 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@Sequidle Red boxes in Limit Reasons indicate throttling is in progress. Those are the important ones.

Oh! Duh! So yellow boxes just indicate that it has happened! Well I am satisfied as long as turbo is able top hit max frequency and XMP is stable now I am willing to accept some mystery throttling. Thanks again