Game briefly "freezing" when streaming with OBS

Hey all, I'm having trouble googling this one because it's not a hard failure, and it's pretty inconsistent. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or might have a suggested way to search for this one. I will preface by saying I聽am relatively clueless on most of this. I apologize for the disorganized mess that comes below, but I'm in over my head, apparently. Hope this i the right spot!

Anyway, I started streaming some of my gameplay (really so that if something cool and/or funny happens I can more easily share it, I'm bad and don't want anyone to actually watch 馃榾) and I am using OBS. I play at 4k and have v-sync on in game to sit at around 60fps. The issue is that occasionally during gameplay the game will "freeze" - the system is still responsive, can swap to other programs and whatnot - but the game itself will pause before eventually catching up. I see on OBS that the network indicator goes red. I'm just wondering what I've done wrong on my end that's causing this? Is there something I can do that if OBS has a network problem it can be prevented from causing the game to lock up as well? Or is the reality simply I'm asking too much from the system?

This issue does go away if I simply record locally, which also accomplishes what I want, but it involves more work on my end and would be nice if I could just figure out my streaming problem.

As for some settings that are hopefully relevant:

• Bitrate set to 6000kbps
  • Encoder set to x264
  • CPU preset set to veryfast
  • Canvas resolution 3840x2160
  • Output resolution 1920x1080
  • Process priority normal
  • I was using display capture, but I've updated this to game capture (not yet tested if this has been the issue, if you think it may have been聽I would be happy to hear it)

Quick overall specs - no OC except xmp for ram:

• 3900x
  • 64GB RAM
  • RTX 2080
  • Gigabit fiber and connected via wire

Thanks so much for your time!

If you're going to want push 1080p on a single machine, you're best off using NVENC from your 2080 over CPU encoding. You're likely hitting a CPU encoding error and maxing out some cores causing the hitches. The NVENC encoder on the 2000 series is equal to x264 CPU encoding, so you will see no degradation to stream quality and impact should be minimal to game play experience.聽

Community Standards聽| Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @聽me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer.聽

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop |聽Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)聽| RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36聽3600mhz聽

1tb Samsung 970 Evo |聽2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming聽Rig

聽Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix聽| 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |聽聽Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I had a chance to give this a try using the NVENC encoder, and unfortunately the same issue persists. Maybe streaming just isn't for me.

Thanks anyway though!