Using a Dell PowerEdge Server for a Minecraft Server?

Hello, so I am wondering if I could use a Dell R410 PowerEdge server to run a minecraft server? If anyone has any experience could you let me know what kind of performance I could expect? Thanks

If your goal is to just run a Minecraft server, look to something else like a consumer system. If your goal is to run multiple services on this, like 5 or 6 different Minecraft servers, or a Minecraft server, a plex server, a PiHole box, a password manager, and some home automation stuff, then yeah get the R410. It'll run a Minecraft server just fine, it's just that with the amount of cores that it has and the fact that they aren't super cheap on the used market compared to used optiplexes and other servers. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133531870780?hash=item1f171ea63c:g:lgIAAOSwBHBg3OZp

This for example can be found for half the price of the R410 with a faster CPU for Minecraft and just needs a RAM upgrade and an SSD to be perfect for a Minecraft server, in addition to having a much stronger upgrade path if you want a rackmount solution with IPMI and all the benefits of an actual server solution. Otherwise find a haswell-based i5 or i7 optiplex on Craigslist/Ebay and run that, since it will provide much better performance for the same price as most server solutions.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are running multiple Minecraft servers, do make sure you have enough RAM installed. I have an old home-built server running an i7-3700, which is running two separate MC servers for a few friends. The CPU handles it all just fine, however I've found that allowing 4GB of RAM per instance is really a minimum if you're going to have more than a dozen players on at a time. And if you want to increase view distance or have dozens of players, even up to 8GB per instance is not crazy, especially if you end up with a large world file and players being spread out.

Good luck!