Any idea on Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and Xiaomi AX3600?

5aberd

Anyone have an idea on the reliability and performance of those APs? 

Netgear consumer routers are garbage. Don't know anything about the Xiaomi, but I wouldn't touch the Netgear with a ten foot pole.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 hours ago, 5aberd said:

Anyone have an idea on the reliability and performance of those APs? 

First of all, those are 2 completely different generations of products. The R7000 is several years old and from the WiFi 5 generation, whereas the Xiaomi AX3600 is newer from the WiFi 6 generation.

Xiaomi isn’t a popular brand in North America, so you’d have to look at reviews from Asian countries.

Why are you trying to choose between just these 2 products? Is anything available from Asus in your part of the world? Do you have a particular budget in mind?

7 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

First of all, those are 2 completely different generations of products. The R7000 is several years old and from the WiFi 5 generation, whereas the Xiaomi AX3600 is newer from the WiFi 6 generation.

Xiaomi isn’t a popular brand in North America, so you’d have to look at reviews from Asian countries.

Why are you trying to choose between just these 2 products? Is anything available from Asus in your part of the world? Do you have a particular budget in mind?

Actually I found the r7000 on the chart link mentioned  in your post and I considered it after seeing it was in the top 12 routers that's why, xiaomi I found two APs within my budget around 65$ each, pretty much I can find asus model but not the fancy models I can find the ac1200 RT-AC53 but those are older models without even Mu-mimio tech at the least and only 800Mbps 5Ghz throughput, I can get some routers from Europe and I found the Tenda, Nighthawk, and Tplink deco models within the budget available, I can get routers from Europe so do u have any idea what can I get within 70-80$ per device. It's an apartment so I don't need something fancy like unifi(that's expensive) 

Been using Netgear equipment for around 20 years now. Always found the equipment to be functional and reliable. Have several of their devices in my current setup. The biggest issue that I could see being an issue for some is their user interface isn't particularly pretty or as user friendly as some other vendors. I had the R7500 previously which had great coverage and performance. My brother is using it currently and he is very happy with it. 

Everyone's experience is different, but would generally be happy to recommend Netgear equipment. 

As for Xiaomi, no experience with them so can't really ad much. 

On 7/24/2021 at 1:39 AM, 5aberd said:

Actually I found the r7000 on the chart link mentioned  in your post and I considered it after seeing it was in the top 12 routers that's why, xiaomi I found two APs within my budget around 65$ each, pretty much I can find asus model but not the fancy models I can find the ac1200 RT-AC53 but those are older models without even Mu-mimio tech at the least and only 800Mbps 5Ghz throughput, I can get some routers from Europe and I found the Tenda, Nighthawk, and Tplink deco models within the budget available, I can get routers from Europe so do u have any idea what can I get within 70-80$ per device. It's an apartment so I don't need something fancy like unifi(that's expensive) 

I have the R7000 and it performs decently with stock Netgear firmware. But it served mainly to experiment with DD-WRT and Tomato firmwares. As far as I can recall, its downfalls for me were that it didn't perform well with regards to range in my home with lots of internal concrete walls, and the OpenVPN client was bottlenecked by the CPU. The reason it tends to make the rank on charts is because, at the time, it performed well for the price compared to alternatives.

That's not to say that it isn't relevant today. If you need a wireless router to provide coverage in a relatively small-to-medium sized home, with no major obstructions and on a single level, it might just be enough.

But I've found the Ubiquiti airCube AC (the non-ISP model), which can be found for around $70 on eBay, to be significantly better for a wireless-AC sub-$100 router. Unlike other Ubiquiti hardware, the airCube is based on their airMax firmware and is relatively simpler to use for the average consumer.

The reason I mentioned Asus is because their recent products are also decent if you want a traditional all-in-one wireless router with lots of features. Of course, there is a price premium, but I think the price is justified for the performance you get.

Notes_210726_111539.thumb.jpg.82d377e19151542664e5068fefdfa7f4.jpg

5 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

I have the R7000 and it performs decently with stock Netgear firmware. But it served mainly to experiment with DD-WRT and Tomato firmwares. As far as I can recall, its downfalls for me were that it didn't perform well with regards to range in my home with lots of internal concrete walls, and the OpenVPN client was bottlenecked by the CPU. The reason it tends to make the rank on charts is because, at the time, it performed well for the price compared to alternatives.

That's not to say that it isn't relevant today. If you need a wireless router to provide coverage in a relatively small-to-medium sized home, with no major obstructions and on a single level, it might just be enough.

But I've found the Ubiquiti airCube AC (the non-ISP model), which can be found for around $70 on eBay, to be significantly better for a wireless-AC sub-$100 router. Unlike other Ubiquiti hardware, the airCube is based on their airMax firmware and is relatively simpler to use for the average consumer.

The reason I mentioned Asus is because their recent products are also decent if you want a traditional all-in-one wireless router with lots of features. Of course, there is a price premium, but I think the price is justified for the performance you get.

yeah I think like someone told me and I didn't mention it here is that I already have a Mikrotik that's gonna handle Queues, assign DHCP, and run my firewall, my house is a sort-off rectangular 220m2 apartment with concrete walls inside of it (Image Enclosed) and because its really hard to drill and put new ethernet cable so everything is through wireless signal (TV, Gaming Laptop …) everything is through wireless signal that's why I'm searching for something to handle them, I found the tenda and the xiaomi cheap at the same time I found Netgear and Tp-link AX10 other than that Some one told me to get an AP rather than wifi router but all of the above can work in AP mode rather than wifi router.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:34 AM, 5aberd said:

Some one told me to get an AP rather than wifi router but all of the above can work in AP mode rather than wifi router.

Yes, that’s true. Go through their respective manuals first to ensure AP mode can be activated.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:34 AM, 5aberd said:

I found the tenda and the xiaomi cheap at the same time I found Netgear and Tp-link AX10

If you’re looking for cheap, then TP-Link should be OK. And if you have the option of going WiFi 6 for cheap, I’d lean towards that instead of the R7000. At least with the former, you should get more firmware update support rather than the latter which is getting along in age.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:36 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Yes, that’s true. Go through their respective manuals first to ensure AP mode can be activated.

If you’re looking for cheap, then TP-Link should be OK. And if you have the option of going WiFi 6 for cheap, I’d lean towards that instead of the R7000. At least with the former, you should get more firmware update support rather than the latter which is getting along in age.

Yeah I'm leaning toward Wi-Fi 6 at the time since I'm already changing then why not I found the Xiaomi Ax3600 really impressive features for 70$, and also the tp-link AX20 an AX50 for same amount both are really good for the same price, and then there's the tenda router butI dont know if tenda is really good or not they have impressive features but I cant find anyone to tell me if they're good or not .