Flash drive not working on any kind of device

Maverick_1999

I bought a USB 3.0 sandisk flash drive 64 gigs about exactly 11 months back. Loaded up some movies and games into it. Never used that much(I must say it's basically sitting in my bag collecting dust)but today is my unlucky day, I found out it may have been broken forever. I tried to plug it into my phone, TV, PC but no detection of a flash drive(FYI Checked the drivers in my PC, no problem with that too) and also checked the pins if anything's not right but those all seemed fine. I must say after all that shit I'd done with it there's still hope left in me it would work because even though the devices didn't recognize the stick it gets heat up slightly (Not as much when it was working). Hoping for a confirmation that it is dead once and for all, I Appreciate your thoughts.

If the drive doesn't show up on any type of device I'd say it's toast. Most likely the controller giving out. USB Flash drives are more of a data transfer tool, not a long term data storage tool. I try to recommend people stay away from storing important or large amounts of data on them for longer periods of time. If you want something to store movies or photos or large amounts of data on I'd recommend an external HDD or SSD.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Seems the flash controller has died. Is it recognized in Disk Management as an empty volume, or not recognized in Disk Management at all? 

It didn't show up in the disk management also 😓

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If the drive doesn't show up on any type of device I'd say it's toast. Most likely the controller giving out. USB Flash drives are more of a data transfer tool, not a long term data storage tool. I try to recommend people stay away from storing important or large amounts of data on them for longer periods of time. If you want something to store movies or photos or large amounts of data on I'd recommend an external HDD or SSD.

Unfortunately I wanted to use the flash drive as a binge watch movies , plug and play games kinda thing😂😂

Just now, Maverick_1999 said:

Unfortunately I wanted to use the flash drive as a binge watch movies , plug and play games kinda thing😂😂

That puts a lot of strain on flash drives. I definitely wouldn't recommend that. I'd use an external HDD for that, back when I first got into computers I tried using an external HDD as a portable game drive and it killed it pretty fast. I don't know if they work better now for it but running games over USB from an external is just bleh. I wouldn't do it, for risk of killing the drive faster and the slowness of loading game files from the external to the computer over USB is just not worth it, better to just get a bigger internal drive at that point. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

8 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

That puts a lot of strain on flash drives. I definitely wouldn't recommend that. I'd use an external HDD for that, back when I first got into computers I tried using an external HDD as a portable game drive and it killed it pretty fast. I don't know if they work better now for it but running games over USB from an external is just bleh. I wouldn't do it, for risk of killing the drive faster and the slowness of loading game files from the external to the computer over USB is just not worth it, better to just get a bigger internal drive at that point. 

I just didn't know then that the thing I wanted to do with the drive would eventually kill it faster. I have always seen flash drives as ssd's but thanks to you now I know how exactly get most out of a flash drives and how sensitive they are to loads that I used to think which are "not so stressful loads".

Just now, Heliian said:

Have you tried the sandisk recovery tool? 

No, but how would that work because the drive is not being detected even in the disk management .

Just now, Maverick_1999 said:

No, but how would that work because the drive is not being detected even in the disk management .

Probably wouldn't work still if it's not detected but there's probably not much else you can do.