Can't type in Windows 10 search bar

Xolin

Hello, 

Just got a new keyboard. I can’t type in any Microsoft apps. That includes the search bar, any Microsoft office program and log-in screen. However, the keyboard still works on my browser google chrome. Does anyone know what can be causing this? 

Thanks.

50 minutes ago, Xolin said:

Hello, 

Just got a new keyboard. I can’t type in any Microsoft apps. That includes the search bar, any Microsoft office program and log-in screen. However, the keyboard still works on my browser google chrome. Does anyone know what can be causing this? 

Thanks.

Have you restarted windows?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Have you restarted windows?

Yes

Just now, Xolin said:

Yes

Hrm…. That’s odd. A keyboard should just throw ascii codes down the usb pipe. “Any microsoft apps” you say.  What about notepad? It has the advantage of not affecting anything important.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Hrm…. That’s odd. A keyboard should just throw ascii codes down the usb pipe. “Any microsoft apps” you say.  What about notepad? It has the advantage of not affecting anything important.

There are no problems with notepad, google chrome, rename files/folders.

Can anyone help me? 

image.png.a7e377d88f351966ee4ab334d2e84e68.png

I can't type

17 minutes ago, Xolin said:

Can anyone help me? 

I can't type

I'd check if it has the same behaviour in another system

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

18 minutes ago, Xolin said:

Can anyone help me? 

I can't type

This is something I’ve never heard of before.  People do what you did and do not experience the problem you are reporting.  I suspect it has something to do with some bit of widows getting somehow malformed but I don’t know.  Given the “got no clue but it seems to have something to do with software” nature of things my move would be to start reinstalling stuff to overwrite the mangled bit.  Might not be a useful move but it’s all I can think of.  One might try rebooting into safe mode and see if that solves it which would do little other than possibly further determine where the issue is coming from. I don’t think it’s hardware though because typing is getting through so it’s not a mechanical issue. 

Edited by Bombastinator